Cockatiel/conure friends?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
It can happen but if you try to force it you will end up with an injured or killed tiel, and they should never share a cage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
KateMyshkin

KateMyshkin

Oct 19, 2017
Florida
Parrots
Paco. A hybrid conure.
The cockatiel came home today. My conure seems to be in love. He’s adoring her from a distance because she’s quarantined... until she goes to the vet, and a baby.. 4 months old.. but the conure is 5 years old and bobbing his head and regurgitating just from seeing her

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
That's a good sign :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I agree with the above that it's a good sign he seems interested in her. Glad you are keeping them separated from the quarantine period and have arranged for her to get a checkup, it's always important when bringing a new bird home. It will depend on the individual also but it all goes well they can be friends.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
My conure bosses my cockatiel around. Chases him off his perch, goes in his cage and steals his food, etc. Conures are more aggressive than tiels, and they should be in separate cages, but they can get along outside the cage with close supervision. Please make sure that your tiel is flighted so she can get away from the conure if something happens. I haven’t had any close calls because my tiel always flies away from my conure if he goes after him.

OP
KateMyshkin

KateMyshkin

Oct 19, 2017
Florida
Parrots
Paco. A hybrid conure.
The cockatiel has her own cage. She can’t fly.. she’s been trying ... she keeps trying.. she can jump up a few feet ... my boyfriend started calling her Amelia Earhart for her efforts

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Are her wings clipped? I’m just worried that she won’t be able to get away from your conure if he goes after her. Be careful!

OP
KateMyshkin

KateMyshkin

Oct 19, 2017
Florida
Parrots
Paco. A hybrid conure.
She’s clipped. I plan to leave her flighted. I didn’t clip her. I’m keeping them apart for now because she hasn’t been to a vet yet but when I see the vet I’ll askabout my other concerns but maybe someone here knows a thing or two about it... I know they wouldn’t be able to produce fertilized eggs but my concern is my conure humps everything. He’s going to make a move on her I’m sure... she’s too young for that.. should I keep them apart until after she’s sexually mature?

Frozengirl

Dec 17, 2017
I would make sure he doesn't try to hump her. She's too young to be trying to mate, don't want her having eggs early :)
If he tries then I would separate.

Just my opinion, I don't have a conure :)

He might not be so direct with her you never know?

Did you try lowering his hormones, with more sleep, cage setup changes?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
My first cockatiel and conure were 'cage buddies'. Casey, the tiel, I had had for a month. She was given to me in November, where-as Noel came to me right before Christmas. Casey was only 6 months old at the time where-as Noel was "older"... Older, as in 9 years old? Teens? Twenties? I don't know... but adult.

B01.jpg

Casey was fascinated by Noel and would not leave Noel alone. At first, Noel wanted nothing to do with Casey, but since Casey wouldn't take "No!" as an answer, she warmed her way in next to Noel. It's not something I had ever planned on doing, it just happened.

They were "together" for 8 years, before Noel had passed on due to failing health. Five years after getting Noel, I did adopt another older conure - Charlie. Charlie is a different species of conure than Noel but has similar colorations. He's also larger. He was 12 when I got him and in his foster home he was, more or less, "ruling the roost", in a matter of speaking. He was cage buddies with an amazon and the others got out of his way when he came by. Also due to his foster home - he's missing half of his lower beak. He decided to go pick a fight with the blind ruby macaw and got the short end of the stick. Charlie now requires beak trims for the rest of his life. He'll be 24 next year.

Casey did attempt to befriend Charlie, but after realizing that Charlie wasn't a 'friendly' bird, quickly gave up. I have no doubt that Charlie would hurt Casey, given the chance. Likewise, she has not warmed up to any other conures or non-cockatiel species since Noel's passing.

Just because I've done it doesn't mean I'd recommend it. I don't know your birds, and if something were to happen, you *have* to take responsibility for it. I lost an older bourke parakeet to Noel and it was my fault. I was cleaning the cage outside, and it had glass "seed skirts" (the design of the cage...). Well, while cleaning the cage, I had the glass stacked up and off to the side when the wind had picked up and a heavy object fell on the glass and shattered it... I didn't replace the glass immediately, but instead opted for a temporary fix. It was the worst idea ever... because I had parakeets (different species) in that cage and they figured out how to get around that "fix" and get out. Well, one of the older ones (older female bourke) did just that, and flew into Noel's area while I wasn't even home. I came back to her missing most of her upper beak. This, of course, happened on a Sunday and we have no emergency avian vets within at least 2 hours driving distance. She died the next day. One of her daughters did at least live to be ~19 years old before her own passing.

So in short, yes, it's possible, but you could also be playing Russian roulette... they could be fine together for years without issues, then one day out of the blue, there's a problem.

Most Reactions

Latest posts