Cockatiel despises hands

pinetreee

May 5, 2023
Parrots
Penny, a spicy female cockatiel
Hi all! My female cockatiel (Penny) doesn’t tolerate hands at all. We got her after Thanksgiving last year, and she stepped up when we first met her, but ever since she’s hissed and lunged at our hands. Her original owner kept her in a great cage and let her out often (whenever he was home), but he wasn’t home for 12 hour shifts and didn’t offer much entertainment for her. He didn’t have family visit very often and loved her very much, so she was almost exclusively bonded to him. She loves to sit with us or climb on us now, but only steps up when she is desperate (i.e night frights, flying out of fear, etc). We think maybe she’s scared to step up because the last time she did we moved her to a new place? She takes treats but nothing motivates her to come anywhere near a hand. I’ve searched everywhere but so far nothing has really worked (stepping up on a stick, targeting, offering special treats to step up, stuff like that). If you have any advice you’d like to share, thanks in advance! :)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi all! My female cockatiel (Penny) doesn’t tolerate hands at all. We got her after Thanksgiving last year, and she stepped up when we first met her, but ever since she’s hissed and lunged at our hands. Her original owner kept her in a great cage and let her out often (whenever he was home), but he wasn’t home for 12 hour shifts and didn’t offer much entertainment for her. He didn’t have family visit very often and loved her very much, so she was almost exclusively bonded to him. She loves to sit with us or climb on us now, but only steps up when she is desperate (i.e night frights, flying out of fear, etc). We think maybe she’s scared to step up because the last time she did we moved her to a new place? She takes treats but nothing motivates her to come anywhere near a hand. I’ve searched everywhere but so far nothing has really worked (stepping up on a stick, targeting, offering special treats to step up, stuff like that). If you have any advice you’d like to share, thanks in advance! :)
A lot of birds hate hands. If she's not fearful of your face, try holding your hand against your face when you interact with her. I think some birds that like their owners faces don't understand that hands are a part of their owner.

Will she step up on a stick? How about a hand covered with a long shirtsleeve?

OP
pinetreee

pinetreee

May 5, 2023
Parrots
Penny, a spicy female cockatiel
A lot of birds hate hands. If she's not fearful of your face, try holding your hand against your face when you interact with her. I think some birds that like their owners faces don't understand that hands are a part of their owner.

Will she step up on a stick? How about a hand covered with a long shirtsleeve?
Thanks for the tip, I’ve never heard of that one before!
She will step up onto a stick if the hand is pretty distant but sleeves seem to be too scary for her.

TenthDoctor34

Mar 13, 2022
New Zealand
Parrots
Dipsey and Charlie the cockatiels
One my cockatiels hated hands and never would let me pet him. He had come from bird rescue and probably had been badly treated thou and as he got older he was a cranky old man who was like dont touch me and would even lunge when went to change his food. He was always happy to sit on my shoulder on his own terms. Some my other tiels preferred if I covered my hands with a sleeve as it made them feel less nervous. So could try covering your hand with sleeve if makes her feel more comfortable.
But would still persist and use treats and training as well and show her your hands not a threat. As long as you don't force her she may be able to get over that.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
She takes treats from your hand, right. That's a clue. Now feed her from your hand. The more often you feed her from your hand the more comfortable she will become with your hand and will know it's your hand

Most Reactions

Latest posts