Cockatiel gone quiet after introducing another one

Gree

Jul 10, 2022
Republic of Costa Rica
Parrots
Cosmo, Sol
Hello everyone!
I have 2 cockatiels, Cosmo :grey:, and Sol :yellow1:. Cosmo is a male, almost 3 years old and Sol is a female, almost a year old. I got Cosmo when he was around 2 months old or so? and back then he was very close to me and my family (very close with my father). When I used my computer to do things like program, he would usually stay on my shoulder and talk to me or just watch.

Around October of 2021, we got him a companion, a female lutino cockatiel which we named Sol. Sol was around 3 months old and we introduced Sol to Cosmo, which went pretty well and they got along. Initially, Cosmo would still sing and talk, but not as much. (Also note the cage we got them is pretty big and has toys for them)

Over time, Cosmo stopped singing as much and would only do it occasionally but he would stop once Sol got near him. If I separate them, Cosmo will start singing and scream for attention like before, however, Sol starts screaming and becomes tense. They're not hostile to each other at all and are actually quite fond of one another (if that's a way to say it)

Also, Cosmo does react to sounds of cockatiels singing or to his own with singing but stops a bit after the sound ends or stops playing.

Is this normal? I've looked around and done research on cockatiels but haven't found an answer at all.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
It's quite normal for birds to become quieter if they have companions. My one bird, Strongarm, was a noisy little snot, constantly screaming until I moved her in with Mindwipe and her mate, Redshift. Then she became a most mellow bird, rarely making a noise! In comparison, now that I'm just down to Redshift and my conure, Charlie, Redshift's become much more vocal and will scream regularly for attention.

Most Reactions