Cockatiel had a crash!

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello :) I have a 7-month-old male cockatiel named Kiko.

Kiko was just chilling on my lap taking a nap, and then I took him downstairs. I was talking to my mom who was on the couch and Kiko randomly flew off my shoulder to the ground and started running away. I stepped him up and was about to go back upstairs, but he flew off my shoulder again and kind of crashed into the sliding glass door. I'm guessing he saw something outside because he does seem to be stunned or scared looking when he sees a big bird or something outside, so I don't like to take him near the door. He has "crashed" into a wall once but it wasn't anything serious, I didn't even hear a crashing sound. But this time I heard a little banging sound, but that could also be because it's glass. (So I don't know if the crash was hard or not.) My mom said that she saw him crash into it (I didn't because I wasn't facing the glass door) and she said that he hit his beak, but I don't know 🤷‍♀️ I examined him for any external injuries but don't seem to see any. He also didn't act stunned about it, just got quiet, and then he became normal again. I don't seem to see any swelling anywhere but I don't know if he has any because I can't see under the feathers. Right now, he's still quiet with his eyes half-closed on my lap like he was before the crash.

Should I be concerned? Is there anything I should look out for? How can you tell if your bird has any internal injuries? Is this serious enough to go to the vet?

Also, is it bad that I am not making him used to the outdoors? I have never taken him outside without a carrier. I haven't harness trained him, and I know you shouldn't even take a clipped bird outside without a harness unless it's highly trained. I also keep the blinds down for the sliding door because I am afraid of what just happened. Is this bad that I am not making him aware of the outdoors or keeping him inside? He even gets scared or stunned when he sees a fly, so I don't even know if it's safe for me to take him outside ever without a carrier. (He loves going outside in his carrier!)

Thanks for reading this post, and thanks if you reply :)

OP
Safamirza🤍

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello :) I have a 7-month-old male cockatiel named Kiko.

Kiko was just chilling on my lap taking a nap, and then I took him downstairs. I was talking to my mom who was on the couch and Kiko randomly flew off my shoulder to the ground and started running away. I stepped him up and was about to go back upstairs, but he flew off my shoulder again and kind of crashed into the sliding glass door. I'm guessing he saw something outside because he does seem to be stunned or scared looking when he sees a big bird or something outside, so I don't like to take him near the door. He has "crashed" into a wall once but it wasn't anything serious, I didn't even hear a crashing sound. But this time I heard a little banging sound, but that could also be because it's glass. (So I don't know if the crash was hard or not.) My mom said that she saw him crash into it (I didn't because I wasn't facing the glass door) and she said that he hit his beak, but I don't know 🤷‍♀️ I examined him for any external injuries but don't seem to see any. He also didn't act stunned about it, just got quiet, and then he became normal again. I don't seem to see any swelling anywhere but I don't know if he has any because I can't see under the feathers. Right now, he's still quiet with his eyes half-closed on my lap like he was before the crash.

Should I be concerned? Is there anything I should look out for? How can you tell if your bird has any internal injuries? Is this serious enough to go to the vet? I tried to get him to engage in something but he's not interested in any toy or anything.

Also, is it bad that I am not making him used to the outdoors? I have never taken him outside without a carrier. I haven't harness trained him, and I know you shouldn't even take a clipped bird outside without a harness unless it's highly trained. I also keep the blinds down for the sliding door because I am afraid of what just happened. Is this bad that I am not making him aware of the outdoors or keeping him inside? He even gets scared or stunned when he sees a fly, so I don't even know if it's safe for me to take him outside ever without a carrier. (He loves going outside in his carrier!)

Thanks for reading this post, and thanks if you reply :)
So, it has been over 15 min now and he seems to be fine I think, he's sitting with his eyes closed on my lap. Is this a concern that he's quiet? (I don't know if it's a concern that he's half asleep because it's very quiet right now and he goes to sleep when it's very quiet and there's no movement.) I am just scared because he's never crashed into anything like this before and I don't know what to do.

OP
Safamirza🤍

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
So, it has been over 15 min now and he seems to be fine I think, he's sitting with his eyes closed on my lap. Is this a concern that he's quiet? (I don't know if it's a concern that he's half asleep because it's very quiet right now and he goes to sleep when it's very quiet and there's no movement.) I am just scared because he's never crashed into anything like this before and I don't know what to do.
QUICK UPDATE: He's acting normal again, running around, playing, and eating one of his fave things, popcorn while making a huge mess 😭 but he's still quite

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
This must have been so worrisome for you! Poor Kiko! I think you did a good job monitoring him - I don't know as much as others here so I don't want to give advice on what to do, but I'm relieved he is acting pretty normal for him ❤️

OP
Safamirza🤍

Safamirza🤍

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
This must have been so worrisome for you! Poor Kiko! I think you did a good job monitoring him - I don't know as much as others here so I don't want to give advice on what to do, but I'm relieved he is acting pretty normal for him ❤️
It's the next day today and he's back to being the normal and loud Kiko :) I also checked for any bumps or swelling anywhere again and can't seem to see or find any, thank god!

Most Reactions