Cockatiel is losing or picking tail feathers

joannaeve

Nov 11, 2023
Parrots
3 Pet Cockatiels. Castiel (10), Sinnamon (6), Pomme De Terre (5)
Hiya, I have 3 cockatiels. Cas (the eldest and recently uncoupled cockatiel because his partner passed the year before: Deanie) is losing tail feathers as his son Sinnamon is I suspect chasing him. I also have another cockatiel Pomme de Terre who is the one currently coupled with Sinnamon. But now because of Pomme, Sinnamon and her are bonded and are in breeding behaviour and Cas feels outed I am not sure what to do as I haven’t seen Cas like this he is very clingy with me BUT behaves/act the same otherwise but I am just unsure how to approach this situation. I am making sure he spends enough time with me when I am around but when I am not I worry what will happen and I don't think introducing another bird at this stage will help the situation especially since Pomme is in laying egg behavior.
Please help as I am at a loss.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Hrrrrrmmmmm.. Tough call. I usually offer food and treats in multiple food bowls to cut down on fighting and offer foraging toys so they'll have more thing sot do other than pick on eachother.

Hopefully someone will have a better/more thorough suggestion! :)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
It's complicated!
And so... there may be no quick answers, buttttttttttttt...
Keep coming back. Even when there are no easy answers, there is lots of warm support and encouragement.

Most Reactions

Latest posts