Cockatiel is not well

Amrsalah

Nov 22, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel (grey male)
Hi Guys,
My cockateil was fine this morning, but i came back after three hours outside and found him stand still and breaths very quickly and heavily from mouth with a noise that is very hearable. Also his eyes were closing mostly and feels too exhausted.

I changed his food and put him water and opened the cage and he came out and after 30 mins he became better and started to act normally and play, drink and eat.

Then i thought he was stressed or so. Now he went to sleep, but he started to do the same breathing again.

What do you think is this ?

Thanks,

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hard to say. I would keep a close eye on him, and if this occurs again without a reasonable explanation (like he was just flying a lot), I would get him to a Certified Avian Vet if possible.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry your tiel is having issues. I hope it doesn't happen again, but if it does I agree with wrench13 and taking him to an avian vet.

Here is a list we made up, hopefully you'll be able to find one near you.

Avian Vet Resources

I hope he feels better soon.

OP
A

Amrsalah

Nov 22, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel (grey male)
It gets bad around the night time and around his sleeping time.
It becomes better during the day!

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
One thing you need to know about birds is that they do hide their illnesses very well. I agree with wrench13 that your beloved cockatiel needs to see a certified avian vet asap. It could be many things such as stress or it could be a crop infection. Also, having a record with an avian vet will also be helpful with future health check visits such as weight, gram stains, bloodwork, etc. You and the vet knowing the health history is very important in maintaining the health of your bird.

I hope it isn't anything serious. Please keep us updated.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
If there isn't a CAV there for you to take him too, taking him to a vet who treats birds (but isn't a CAV) is the next best thing.

How is your baby doing now?

Most Reactions

Latest posts