Cockatiel may need a hysterectomy

Elli

Dec 23, 2017
So my cockatiel went in for an operation today as she was egg bound. The egg was too big to pass and so she had to be operated on. During the operation however they were unable to fully remove the egg and only half came out. They stopped there because it was cutting the uterus. Now half the egg shell is still inside her uterus. They are hoping she passes it through her poop in the next 24-72 hours but if she doesn't they said she will need a hysterectomy.*

Now I know this comes as a high risk factor. So I was wondering does anyone know if there is other methods to get her to pass those egg fragments rather than getting a hysterectomy? And if she does need a hysterectomy just how much danger is involved? I've been looking it up and everywhere is saying it's risky. I'm just scared to death of losing my little girl.*

I will find out more tomorrow morning when the vet rings but right now I'm so in the dark worrying what may happen. If anyone knows anything or has experienced something similar I would very much appreciate any advice.*

Thank you.

Loz

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Parrots
Dora - Green-rumped parrotlet ā™€
Unfortunately, I don't have any knowledge on your situation. However, I do hope the best for you and your feathered friend x

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
One of the true dangers of seeing a Vet and just as well a Doctor is that we Humans to not function well in those situations. I.E., we fail to comprehend and /or gather all the information that is brought to us, especially when the information is regarding events like this one! And, it is why it becomes so very important to have them written down or for us to write down what has happened, what the next steps are, and most importantly, why. Its why, I always carry a pad of paper, pen. Plus pre-written questions I have.

The reality is that for the large population of Companion Parrot owners, this type of event is near totally uncommon. With the exception of the long time Breeders, and Avian Vets, it just not part of the knowledge base.

Removing only part of an egg with hopes that the body will pass the remaining part or pieces would have me spinning in emotions and questions. To that end, I am surprised that the egg was not fully removed or the hysterectomy was not preformed at that time. But, I also do not have the medical knowledge to define that action one way or the other.

For me, I would contact the Vet's Clinic today and ask for more information to allow you to better understand what has happened and the whys. They will understand that you need more information and still are in a fog.

With luck, one of our Breeders will happen onto your Thread and provide greater depth as to what you are faced with and what information they can provide.

I am very sorry for what your sweet Tiel is going though and support you and your Tiel with prayers.

Last edited:
OP
E

Elli

Dec 23, 2017
I would*like to add the reason they are considering the hysterectomy is if the egg shells don't come out of her uterus. They are worried they will get embedded into her uterus and cause and abcess. That's why I was hoping about some other method to help her besides the removal of her uterus. And If she makes it through all this I'm definitely getting her an implant to avoid any more eggs.*

Also she is still currently at the vet. They are monitoring her there to see if she passes those egg shells and to make sure she is okay after her uterus was torn trying to remove the egg. The doctor who performed the surgery will ring up today to tell us more. When she does you can sure bet I'm gonna ask a lot of questions. I'll do anything if it means it can save my baby girl.

Most Reactions

Latest posts