Cockatiel seems to like others more

Caitlin

Jan 5, 2023
Parrots
Yoshi the cockatiel
cockatiel more interested in others

Hi everyone! I own a cockatiel and hes almost 2 years old; hes a clingy annoying lil shit but i adore the little man and he spends most his time with me cuz hes my bird and he lives in my room, a couple times a week he joins me downstairs where the rest of the family is and 90% of the time he will fly to anyone but me, and im not sure if thats due to him not favoring me above the rest or another reason so it mildly does upset me, can anyone give some insight on why?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
cockatiel more interested in others

Hi everyone! I own a cockatiel and hes almost 2 years old; hes a clingy annoying lil shit but i adore the little man and he spends most his time with me cuz hes my bird and he lives in my room, a couple times a week he joins me downstairs where the rest of the family is and 90% of the time he will fly to anyone but me, and im not sure if thats due to him not favoring me above the rest or another reason so it mildly does upset me, can anyone give some insight on why?
The novelty of people he doesn't see every day is exciting to him. He knows he can play with you any time but he doesn't get to see these other fun people very often. I think its great that he's so well adjusted that he's not afraid of these "strangers". Ultimately, of course you're still his favorite, but, like a toddler, he wants to explore new people, yet will come running (flying) back for a familiar cuddle! Enjoy the short break from your Velcro birdie.

OP
C

Caitlin

Jan 5, 2023
Parrots
Yoshi the cockatiel
The novelty of people he doesn't see every day is exciting to him. He knows he can play with you any time but he doesn't get to see these other fun people very often. I think its great that he's so well adjusted that he's not afraid of these "strangers". Ultimately, of course you're still his favorite, but, like a toddler, he wants to explore new people, yet will come running (flying) back for a familiar cuddle! Enjoy the short break from your Velcro birdie.
I see! I didnt think of it this way since im usually a rodent owner and rodents have clear favorites and the rest just isnt that cool haha. I was honestly really suprised how well adjusted he is to strangers, its not something i taught him and he wasnt a hand raised baby either so he intially was terrified of people, hes a brave lil one. It was really nice to hear this insight and made me feel tons better, thank you!

Most Reactions