Cockatiel Still Skittish

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
Been over two years with the bonded IRN cockatiel pair. I am guessing the cockatiel was mostly grown when a younger IRN came around, but just a guess. I'd think a grown male would be less accepting of a younger tiel. While the IRN can move her around and does what he wants, she is certainly more aggressive towards him, either fends him off or demands grooming. She's particular about her food. I think she's always had seed and I've always provided it, sparingly. I give them the fresh stuff and pellets and I see her picking at it once in a while. She'll take nothing from my hand. Usually it has to be a small bit sitting there.

I've made some progress with her. Usually I can get her to step up if she doesn't just run away, but she'll fly away soon. While I was home the past year, she would come to be with her BF Mango on my monitor or back of the chair. There was a short while she was climbing all around my shoulders and chest, and picking at things around my keyboard. Since going back to the office, she's regressed to not interested at all, and leave me alone hissing, but nothing like the first year.

She's a happy bird, even though she'll give whimpers when I take Mango away. It's like she gasps in disgust sometimes. Oh, sometimes she'll come out and take a few laps around the LR, yelling and screaming. She'll sit proud at her threshold or on perches, occasionally bathes in the 16" bath I leave on top of their cage, and enjoys the views out the window. That is all that really matters.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Hello, I recommend target training and some basic tricks. This can really strengthen your relationship with your bird. Keep trying to get her to eat out of your hand, and use favorite treats like millet or fruit, or whatever she likes. Also, interact with Mango around her. Give him treats and praise for stepping up. Soon enough, she will become jealous enough to step up for food.
I hope this helped!

OP
ctwo

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
Oh, she's just jelly. I stole her BF.

Most Reactions

Latest posts