Cockatiel vs Green Cheeked Conure

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
Hi everyone! I wanted to know which in your opinion is better, green cheek conure or cockatiel? My situation is, 11 yrs old, living in an apartment, online school. All advice appreciated, thanks!

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
The reason I ask this is, I love cockatiels and their chill personality but I heard about their dust. So I got attracted to GCCs. Could anybody advise e on the dust?
tiels are VERY dusty you have to rinse the cage weekly cuz of the dust you have to change every hour if you dont want bird keepers lung you cant let them live in your room and can it let them preen on your shoulders becuase you will inhale dust and if it gets in your eye the pain is unberable its like soap in your eyes maybe worse in my opnion gcc are best

OP
B

BirdAddictK

Sep 26, 2021
tiels are VERY dusty you have to rinse the cage weekly cuz of the dust you have to change every hour if you dont want bird keepers lung you cant let them live in your room and can it let them preen on your shoulders becuase you will inhale dust and if it gets in your eye the pain is unberable its like soap in your eyes maybe worse in my opnion gcc are best
Oh ok in that case I will get a GCC thanks

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

I am not sure where this information is coming from. "Birdkeepers lung" rarely if ever impacts owners of single cockatiels who keep their bird cages and environs clean - it generally affects those who work with many birds such as pigeon fanciers, bird breeders, poultry farmers or those who work in pet shops and deal with dozens or even hundreds of birds and their droppings in very close proximity. It is also perfectly safe to allow a cockatiel to perch on the shoulder, unless perhaps the owner has a professionally diagnosed allergic hypersensitivity to bird dander.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I am not sure where this information is coming from. "Birdkeepers lung" rarely if ever impacts owners of single cockatiels who keep their bird cages and environs clean - it generally affects those who work with many birds such as pigeon fanciers, bird breeders, poultry farmers or those who work in pet shops and deal with dozens or even hundreds of birds and their droppings in very close proximity. It is also perfectly safe to allow a cockatiel to perch on the shoulder, unless perhaps the owner has a professionally diagnosed allergic hypersensitivity to bird dander.
wait really? so do i have allergies?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
If you are experiencing these symptom you might have allergy. It is treatable however and you can certainly still have birds. I know someone who takes antihistamines for dander allergies daily.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
If you are experiencing these symptom you might have allergy. It is treatable however and you can certainly still have birds. I know someone who takes antihistamines for dander allergies daily.
im researching symptoms at the moment i will keep that in mind tho

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
If you are experiencing these symptom you might have allergy. It is treatable however and you can certainly still have birds. I know an avian vet who takes antihistamines for dander allergies daily.
aha i am allergic no wonder ive had breathing problems

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
By "research" I assume you mean consulting with a medical professional in person. Even so, be aware that occasionally even they will be quick to blame a dusty bird for an allergy that might in fact be caused by something totally different, it's happened before. Do seek opinions from professionals with experience on the topic of psittacosis, bird keeper's lung, pigeon fancier's lung, ornithosis and all the other various names that this condition is known as before making any decisions about keeping a bird.

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
By "research" I assume you mean consulting with a medical professional in person. Even so, be aware that occasionally even they will be quick to blame a dusty bird for an allergy that might in fact be caused by something totally different, it's happened before. Do seek opinions from professionals with experience on the topic of psittacosis, bird keeper's lung, pigeon fancier's lung, ornithosis and all the other various names that this condition is known as before making any decisions about keeping a

ive left her for a week and in that week i was fine but when i came back the syomptoms came back so im guessing its the bird not sure tho i will make an opintment this week and see

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
By "research" I assume you mean consulting with a medical professional in person. Even so, be aware that occasionally even they will be quick to blame a dusty bird for an allergy that might in fact be caused by something totally different, it's happened before. Do seek opinions from professionals with experience on the topic of psittacosis, bird keeper's lung, pigeon fancier's lung, ornithosis and all the other various names that this condition is known as before making any decisions about keeping a bird.
Also I'd like to add that air purifiers help A LOT, according to many people who have dusty birds like greys or cockatiels.
While tiels are super dusty, I never had alergies or breathing issues while I fostered one, and he was on me alllll the time.

Birdienerd

Sep 30, 2021
Parrots
Meyers, CAG, BFA
Hi everyone! I wanted to know which in your opinion is better, green cheek conure or cockatiel? My situation is, 11 yrs old, living in an apartment, online school. All advice appreciated, thanks!
There is a really great young Youtuber, Elle and the Birds, who might be able to help you answer this question. She has both a cockatiel and a GCC. She also has wonderful videos on cages, cage setup, training, foraging and nutrition. I wish she'd been around when I first got into birds! For my two cents on your question, I guess it depends on your expectations for the bird. Each bird has its own personality and its own comfort level with being handled. They can bond very deeply sometimes and be clingy---and then become LOUD when they call for you. If you have a busy lifestyle, parrots can be a tougher pet to own. But check out Elle. She's really neat, but keep in mind she's very into her birds and it's more than a passing hobby for her. She lives and breathes the parrot lifestyle!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I'm an old fart and have COPD and also,besides Amy,there is BB,a normal grey 'tiel. BB has been with us since he was 4.5 months old and is now 5.5 years old ( golly where has the time gone?)
Beebs ( his name he goes by) is very bonded to me,always wanting to be near/on me.
Yes,at times when he ruffles his clothes (feathers) dust does fly! but never does it affect me in any way.
I don't have any experience with conures in general so I'm no help there. Either birdy make awesome companions.

Jim

ZoeyBear

Jul 27, 2021
Media
United states
Parrots
Zoey (GCC) R.I.P
R.I.P Skittles (GCC)
GCC can bite harder than a tiel so if you don't have a very good pain tolerance then I would suggest a tiel GCC are also very needy but they both make great pets. some people don't love the noises that GCC make although I do not mind it at all I actually enjoy the noises. some GCC are screamers so if that would be an issue with your neighbors or other family members then you might consider a quieter bird like a budgie or a tiel. I personally love GCC I have had two of them myself. but they are not for everyone. make sure to do your research before you buy

Most Reactions

Latest posts