Cockatiel with a Parakeet?

Markydi

Feb 1, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
Trying to find another cockatiel has been all dead ends, including rescues as their requirements are too stringent. Because I am concerned about the bird outliving me, I do not want a young bird. (Mine is 7). My cockatiel is actually doing well without a mate, but my concern is he has been with other birds all his life. So I have considered getting a parakeet. It would have it's own cage and things. I have heard stories of two cockatiels not getting along, so it's all a risk anyway, right? What do you think?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Cockatiels and budgies are probably one of the more successful inter-species pairings, but as you know like any combination of birds whether same species or not, individual results will vary depending on each bird's unique personality and how they react to each other. You are wise to have separate cages for them as sometimes even the best buddies need a space of their own to retire to for a bit. My budgie Val gets on well with my two cockatiels, but he can sometimes be as my avian vet likes to say "like that pesky little brother who gets in your face and doesn't know when to quit!" There certainly are no guarantees when it comes to finding a friend for any existing bird, and it sounds like you are prepared for the possibility that they may not get along, but I do think your chances of finding a good combination with these two species are about as good as they're going to get. I wish you all the best of luck!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Trying to find another cockatiel has been all dead ends, including rescues as their requirements are too stringent. Because I am concerned about the bird outliving me, I do not want a young bird. (Mine is 7). My cockatiel is actually doing well without a mate, but my concern is he has been with other birds all his life. So I have considered getting a parakeet. It would have it's own cage and things. I have heard stories of two cockatiels not getting along, so it's all a risk anyway, right? What do you think?
I would just enjoy your solo cockatiel. I love parakeets (budgies) but I think both your cockatiel (and the proposed budgie) would be happier "as is". Enjoy spending lots of time hanging out with your cockatiel. You don't have to be doing anything special- just be buddies with him!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Cockatiels and budgies are probably one of the more successful inter-species pairings, but as you know like any combination of birds whether same species or not, individual results will vary depending on each bird's unique personality and how they react to each other. You are wise to have separate cages for them as sometimes even the best buddies need a space of their own to retire to for a bit. My budgie Val gets on well with my two cockatiels, but he can sometimes be as my avian vet likes to say "like that pesky little brother who gets in your face and doesn't know when to quit!" There certainly are no guarantees when it comes to finding a friend for any existing bird, and it sounds like you are prepared for the possibility that they may not get along, but I do think your chances of finding a good combination with these two species are about as good as they're going to get. I wish you all the best of luck!
Perfectly said, Mart!
I think that your cockatiel would probably enjoy the company of a budgie neighbour, especially because he has been with other birds all his life.

Most Reactions