Cockatoo or Macaw?

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
I hope I'm posting in the correct forum! Ok so I am looking to add one more bird to my flock I have lots of time to spend with this bird and I really wanted a larger bird. I have done lots of research on Cockatoos and some on Macaws as well but not as much. My question is should I be looking for a Macaw or Cockatoo?? This will be my final bird. I love how Cockatoos are so loving to their owners and snuggly! I love how macaws are so playful and cute and rather like a feathered dog! I would love to hear from owners of Cockatoos and owners of Macaws as to more on how they are as pets :) Oh and whether its a Cockatoo or a Macaw it will be a rehome/rescue for sure.

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Well I am awaiting the arrival of my mini macaw, which will be my first, so I can't be very helpful from first hand experience.

My family had a goffin cockatoo. Cockatoos are typically a one person bird only and can be very defensive of that person. They are very needy, prone to plucking, can act out, and scream a lot. My cockatoo only loved my dad and would attack anyone else.

Macaws, speaking only from research, will be a bit more playful, not quite as affectionate, can also be loud, and are a little less needy.

You have experience with birds and say you have a lot of time, so the choice is ultimately yours.
Since you are looking for a rescue, your best bet would be to go to a rescue and the bird will surely choose you.

OP
MarciaLove

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
thanks I am planning on making a trip to Deeshaven a rescue that has macaws and cockatoos right now but its far away so planning it is hard :/

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
their website says you must have macaw experience to adopt their macaws. not sure if all of your bird experience will overrule that or not.

OP
MarciaLove

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
i never saw that about the macaws I know some of their macaws need to have a home with macaw experience but i didnt think they all did oh well

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I know you've mentioned being bothered by bird noise in the past. Cockatoos are extremely loud. Macaws can be very loud, too.

OP
MarciaLove

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
oh no I dont mind the noise Ive got some pretty noisy birds now! I know cockatoos are very loud often and thats ok I have a birdroom thats away form any of the bedrooms/livingroom so its all good and I dont mind the noise im used to it.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Well Marcia I made posts about this in another topic exactly like this, so if you want I'm sure you could find that same posts with many other opinions in it as well, but as you can tell from what I own which is many species, but I am bias towards macaws severely.

I love macaws how playful they are, they act the most like humans and bond the most like humans to me. I really enjoy there attitudes when they think they can be bigger then me I just generally love everything you hear about macaws.

I also love my cockatoos although they are much louder they are very animated and playful. This can be a downfall though and make them very over stimulated. If getting a cockatoo no matter what age they need strict manners more strict rules then any other species IMO. They only other thing is they are slightly dusty and this becomes a bigger responsibility in cleaning which I am sure you are not worried about.

I love both species but prefer macaws ultimately the choice is up to you:), considering a rescue or baby?

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Each species have their own challenges. Both need a confident parront that won't be intimidated by the large beak. Cockatoos are very emotional as a species. If you are interested in a white cockatoo, especially a moluccan or umbrella, you'll have your hands full. Getting a older fully mature bird is great because you kind of know what to expect.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
You mentioned this will be the last bird in your flock. Cockatoos are well known for their dander. Have you considered how the dander will affect your other birds if they are kept in the same area?

I have always wanted to visit either rescue -- Dee's Haven or Miss Vickie's Parrot Village -- but never made it there. Would you please take some photos and/or tell us about your experience at the rescue? I am curious how a rescue is set up and how it runs.

OP
MarciaLove

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
i did think about the dander and its a really large room and In summer I have the garage door open (its a garage so thats a whole wall open to fresh air) And I have one of those air purifiers like they stand like a heater and just circulate and clean the air no chemicals though. And I will most definitely take lots of pictures there! I was thinking about Miss Vickis but she charges lots more than Deeshaven does

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
I guess it depends on what you want in personality. Both types of birds are completely different from each other. First make sure that you are not allergic to Toos, thats how I got my RB2. They had her for 1 1/2 before the allergies finally got the better of them. I applaud the fact that you are looking at rescues! There are literally thousands of Toos to choose from in rescues. Dont get me wrong, I love my Toos (even the little pink one that hasn't really started liking me yet). However if I could do it over I'd have a GW, hands down. Fate brought me together with Rome and she has by far been the most challenging thing I have ever had to deal with in my life. She has pushed me beyond my limits and has some how been able to bring me back. The large Toos can be emotionally and physically draining to have (I say can but I really meant that they are).

If your really wanting a Too, I would suggest settling with the smaller ones (they are still a good sized bird), these would be the: RB2s, G2s, LS2, bare eye etc. The U2s and esp the M2s are not easy birds to have. I have gone to several rescues, all are FULL of Toos - adversly though, they cant hardly keep a GW (theres a big reason for that).

As far as noise goes, when an M2 is throwing a fit it is LOUD! We had MONTHS of non stop screaming when she first came to us. When she is throwing a fit, the noise can be a bit much (and thats with her outside, with us inside the house). Toos are also more sensitive, they can take years to adjust to a new environment. Toos require a strict schedule and firm boundaries. If you think you can handle a Too then opening up your home to one in need would be amazing of you.

Ultimately if given the choice I would have a Green Wing over a Too but its going to be more on what you personally are looking for ;)

OP
MarciaLove

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
I really especially love the G2s so thats more what I was looking at but im flexible I just want to find the individual bird really that is perfect for me! definitely not an U2 though.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Ive had both and though Im getting another 2. Theres nothing like the love of a Macaw .:)

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
I havnt owned a cockatoo before, but i recently visited a place that had wild cockatoos, there was just one that was flying around and playing in trees, but i could not stand the screaming, wow ! :eek: I can have Fargo sit near me and let out a scream and its ok, but this cockatoo who was so far away, i couldnt handle :p

Of course i am all for macaws, they are a big feathered dog, truly :rolleyes:

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
I really especially love the G2s so thats more what I was looking at but im flexible I just want to find the individual bird really that is perfect for me! definitely not an U2 though.

The smaller Toos personality is completely different from the large. Mind you the are still a Too but a lot easier to meet their needs than the larger ones. However when it comes to the macaws the larger ones are easier than the smaller ones to have. :20:

AngelicaandBandit

Apr 25, 2013
Honestly, perhaps PERHAPS its best if you got a macaw. Cockatoos in general all of them require a massive amount of experience, all cockatoos are very prone to behavioral problems, you hear and see many stories of ex cockatoo owners who had bitten off more then they could chew. Thats why there are so many cockatoos in rescues. I have no experience with macaw but I do have a cockatoo so I know what I'm talking about. And definitely, they scream so loud it's not even funny. Keep us posted. I've always wanted a macaw :)

Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
I'd just like to add- You are a bird person. You have a lot of birds. I don't want you to think we're discouraging you from a cockatoo. We just want you to be aware of the problems. However, the love of a cockatoo can be more rewarding than any other bird.

When you say you have time, it should probably be 6 hours + a day (even at that they can become lonely), you have to be very dominant and completely not fearful of the bite, you have to be tolerant of noise, and you have to be very patient. In return, you will get more love than you would from any other bird IMO.

Adversely, with a macaw, I would advise 4+ hours, and the rest still applies, just to a slightly lesser extent.

OP
MarciaLove

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
thank you so much everyone for all the responses I like hearing from everyone here what they know the bird needs! I think Im leaning towards macaw but Im gonna make a trip to Deeshaven sometime and play with both the cockatoos and macaws there.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pyscho I do not mean to intrude but I would highly suggest to never spend 6 hours with a cockatoo this kind of action is the stuff that makes cockatoos so bad, I give my cockatoos a max of 30 minutes and the rest they must entertain themselves this has made for quieter, happier, not sexually flustraited, etc... Cockatoos I know it sounds lack luster but if you were to spend so much time that is when a cockatoo would create an issue big time. I'd also like to add none of my birds even the cockatoos get lonely ever, I am directing is more towards the cockatoos, they play on gyms and content themselves for 6 hours a night my birds are out constantly unless I am not home. So it doesn't matter how much time out so much as to much on you is when the issues happen.

I do agree That you must be expirence, i did not get a cockatoo that was normal until 7 years of strong research and 3 years in the rescue business, I did have a umbrella wild caught that had a seizure disorder, but he didn't count as the norm as he was off sadly, the other issues are cockatoos hormones really suck compared to macaws and this again is we're to much time can become a huge issue.

I never want to push away from certain species, but cockatoos defiantly require some thought before you decide to invest your life with them:).

Most Reactions

Latest posts