Cockatoo throwing up

Rocco Bateman

Jun 14, 2022
Parrots
Cockatoo
Kakariki
Hi my cockatoo has recently thrown up he threw up twice last tuesday while i wasnt in the room and its been a week yet hes thrown up again around the same time a week later just wondering if i should take him to a vet (closest one is only in on fridays so 3 days) or wait it out he has pretty bird pellets and probiotic in his water a clean cage and attention all day hes showing no abnormal behaviour except he is slightly more tired but not a massively noticeable amount otherwise hes acting fine and being as loud as every other day. If anyone could help that would be great thanks.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi,
Its so hard to give advice from afar in health issues.

Other than any suspected health issue should be evaluated by an avian veterinarian.

Burds can regurgitate as a behavioral trying to feed a loved one or substitute objects. That is different from vomiting, or passive regurgitate which are both health issues ( and should be taken very seriously with vet consultation)

Behavioral is often pumping eckectus to bring up creamy substance in mouth ( of course sometimes vomit can appear like that) its usely when petting or aroused. They can either swallow or try to feed you( hand , face, any part of you) or an object ( my budgies have done to a fold in towel that then tried to mate)

Vomiting is more liquid ( usually) and they often shake their head and it sprays everywhere.

Passive regurgitate, can happen if they bend over, or they just open mouth and it falls out.

It can be difficult to tell the difference between all three, cuz you know life likes to keep us on our toes.

But burds hide being sick, until they exhaust their resources or are just to sick to hide it. Thsts a hardwired written in their DNA thing . Because flock will kick them out to protect flock from illness or predators will target them.

Thsts why all symptoms must be taken seriously. That's why saying they are acting normal doesn't mean anything. They will even fake eat.

Any tiredness plus any symptoms are worthwhile to be veterinarian checked out. I think take the Friday appointment is wisest action.

Other clues thst help us ( but do not have to present with sick birds) weight loss, chsbfe in fecal volume or appearance, change in amount of liquid or irate part if stools. Any symptoms noted,

Last edited:

Most Reactions