Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Yes, go ahead and feed fresh coconut
It's high in fiber, and has some calcium. More importantly, it has lauric acid, which has shown to have bacterial and anti -viral properties.
It's also contains medium chain triglycerides, which is fat, but it is immediately converted into energy as opposed to fat.
If you want to give your bird dried, or dessicated coconut, that's fine too, just make sure it has no sugar in it.

Kaytee brand offers treats that are coconut and raspberry to sprinkle in their food.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
most of my birds love coconut too. I buy mine at the health food store, and they are organic coconut shavings.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
It's high in fiber, and has some calcium. More importantly, it has lauric acid, which has shown to have bacterial and anti -viral properties.
It's also contains medium chain triglycerides, which is fat, but it is immediately converted into energy as opposed to fat.
If you want to give your bird dried, or dessicated coconut, that's fine too, just make sure it has no sugar in it.

Kaytee brand offers treats that are coconut and raspberry to sprinkle in their food.

that is great info Antoinette, I didn't know that about coconut:D:D

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I give mine a bit of raw virgin coconut oil every day, she loves to lick it off the back of my hand, and it also helps when I want to introduce new foods I smear a little on them and it makes her try new things.

OP
kissedbypix

kissedbypix

May 25, 2013
Thank you for such a warm welcome....
I'm in love with my little "Tookie" and it's only day three!

josiesmom

Jun 13, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Josie - blue and gold macaw
When we see a whole coconut at the grocery store, we get one and cut it in half (this is why my guy owns power tools) and then drill holes into it so we can put a chain on it to hang in Josie's cage. It is the best $2.00 toy we have ever bought for her. Cutting and drilling the coconut is not east but it is so worth the work when you see how much they enjoy it.

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
I have a coconut hut in Kiwi's cage. I will hide things in or around it so she has to find her favorite treats, usually dried hot peppers. :52:

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
most of my birds love coconut too. I buy mine at the health food store, and they are organic coconut shavings.

Are they dried or fresh shavings? Ill look for some. I didn't know till I read Antoinette's post that it had anti microbial properties. Sounds like s good addition to my conure's diet.

I give him red palm oil bird supplement every other day.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

AWESOME info, thanks so much for that. I had NO clue about all the benefits of coconut.

You all know what is on top of MY shopping list now, don't you? :D

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
my guys go nuts for coconuts and the shells make great toys. when you have avid chewers like alex's the hard shell is great. i dont know if it is a blessing or a curse but gere in the tropucs of australia all i have to do is go to one of the beaches and collect one. although getting thru the husk is hard work.

Most Reactions

Latest posts