Not open for further replies.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
This post is a way for me to relieve some cooped up emotions I've had regarding my cockatoo, Cody. I've had him for almost a year and we've built a strong bond from what I can see. I initially knew I was coming in for a challenge when taking in a cockatoo, and it really is a lot of work and is quite a ride, full of ups and downs, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. He is a really good boy even though he is a devil at times just running around my house. I cannot wait to spend his first Christmas here and see what's in store in the next couple of weeks!
This post is also meant to just let us lay back and discuss some of our holiday plans or what we plan to do over the next couple weeks in general. We always (and we should) look out for our feathered companions and talk about them constantly, which I LOVE. And I just think it's great to put the two together in this post and talk about our holiday plans and possibly how our birds are incorporated into those plans as well!
This is Cody's first Christmas with us and I'm quite excited. I have some plans of my own for the season. I plan to make gingerbread cookies and houses for the guests coming over, I am having company arrive on and after Christmas day actually. And I'm planning to take lots of pictures, eat a lot of goodies, catch up with family and friends, and the best part? I don't have to deal with my professors LOL. And I get to pop up a nice Christmas movie, maybe not the usual Elf or Home Alone, but I would love to try something new.
But I can't forget about Cody and June!
For Cody, I get quite anxious when he is around new people in general since he does not socialize well with others, not even other birds. I am the only thing Cody knows, and I really am trying to change that over the next couple of years. I am not having a big gathering at all, so at least that's good. Cody can get to know each of the guests and get all the attention from them lol. He's adorable. I know for a fact Cody will get anxious just being around them, but we have to take baby steps and go at Cody's pace at the end of the day! For June, she already knows all the family members! She is actually quite the opposite of Cody, extra boisterous and skittish, but very friendly with newcomers approaching her, and she allows them to give her scritches. I also plan to just end the days off by watching a movie or two with both the birds all cuddled up on the sofa, or whatever they prefer. I find it to be a nice way to unwind after all the baking, talking, and serving the guests lol.
Parrots are flock animals. As our fellow parrot lovers know! And a great way to not only build a bond with a bird, but also to mimic human-bird flock relationships in the household, is to include your birds in on the fun with you! And this holiday season is a great way to start that or continue that! So let's end this post with a fun question for all! What are YOUR holiday plans and how do you want to include your birds in on those plans?
Here are a few pictures of Cody for cuteness factor!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7439.JPG
    IMG_7439.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7397.PNG
    IMG_7397.PNG
    386.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_7434.JPG
    IMG_7434.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 98

IcyWinteRose

Nov 23, 2021
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Stitch and Angel: Caiques
My fiancé and I don't have birds YET and we both work the holiday. I did put my name in the bucket to maybe get the day off as a surprise so if I get it off we will go spend time with my aunt before he has to go to work in the evening. Maybe stop by the bird rescue we volunteer at and spread some birdy cheer that way

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Cody is a beauty and quite typical of larger cockatoo species. Social anxiety the norm unless superbly acclimated when young. Proceed at his pace, reward progress, expect occasional setbacks. There is an activity known as "pass the birdie" with opportunities for group handling. You'll want to properly assess and let guests choose participation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts