Cold nights

johnrussellcox

Nov 10, 2022
Parrots
Quaker
Hey - We live in Tampa and my parrot Gomez typically stays in his outdoor cage under the lanai. We've had some cold nights and I have been moving him inside at night. Wondering if anyone knows what temp is too cold and I should move him inside. Thanks!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Quakers are quite hardy but can only handle freezing temps with a nest and buddies to keep warm.

I would think that weather less than 50 f would merit moving him inside.

If he starts to appear distressed certainly bring him in.

This is just my guess as I live in the upper Midwest and haven’t observed Quaker parakeets in Florida.

OP
J

johnrussellcox

Nov 10, 2022
Parrots
Quaker
Quakers are quite hardy but can only handle freezing temps with a nest and buddies to keep warm.

I would think that weather less than 50 f would merit moving him inside.

If he starts to appear distressed certainly bring him in.

This is just my guess as I live in the upper Midwest and haven’t observed Quaker parakeets in Florida.
THANKS

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Quakers in the US that have gone feral/wild tend to make nests close to power transformers for the heat they give off.
This make the power company less than pleased and is one of the reasons some states ban them.
I think it’s a problem mostly inNew York but it’s much colder there than Florida.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right, I've seen the New York City Quakers in person. They may make nests on power junction boxes for warmth, but they fly around during the day, even on the coldest days. There are several colonies here in NYC.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don’t wish to hijack the thread but is it ok to have somewhat cooler temperatures indoors during the day when your birds are more active?

OP
J

johnrussellcox

Nov 10, 2022
Parrots
Quaker
Quakers in the US that have gone feral/wild tend to make nests close to power transformers for the heat they give off.
This make the power company less than pleased and is one of the reasons some states ban them.
I think it’s a problem mostly inNew York but it’s much colder there than Florida.
THANKS!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Wait one moment folks!!
Those outside New York City Birds have added a much thicker underlayment of downy feathers than the Parrot in the Tampa area.
When we play with temperature, it is important to transition the Parrot over-time to allow them the physical time to increase their downy layer commonly over several months.
Here in the Great White North, our Amazon will begin adding downy feathers starting in early October as temperature begin to fall and continue to add even now.
Sorry to be hard, but bringing your Parrot into the comforts of your home is what you should want to do, yes?

Wes, you are in a very different position, as you are reducing temperature in your home. Commonly, when your Amazons are active during the day it can be. a bit cooler. You also use heat plates, so use them as your guide. The more time in front of the plates the more time that is need at that temperature prior to dropping more. Rapid drops is what is the concern as it commonly can cause drafts and cold areas. Check the location of your heating system. That area nearest the furnace commonly gets the warmest air for the longest time and will be a degree or two warmer than other parts of your home.

OP
J

johnrussellcox

Nov 10, 2022
Parrots
Quaker
Wait one moment folks!!
Those outside New York City Birds have added a much thicker underlayment of downy feathers than the Parrot in the Tampa area.
When we play with temperature, it is important to transition the Parrot over-time to allow them the physical time to increase their downy layer commonly over several months.
Here in the Great White North, our Amazon will begin adding downy feathers starting in early October as temperature begin to fall and continue to add even now.
Sorry to be hard, but bringing your Parrot into the comforts of your home is what you should want to do, yes?

Wes, you are in a very different position, as you are reducing temperature in your home. Commonly, when your Amazons are active during the day it can be. a bit cooler. You also use heat plates, so use them as your guide. The more time in front of the plates the more time that is need at that temperature prior to dropping more. Rapid drops is what is the concern as it commonly can cause drafts and cold areas. Check the location of your heating system. That area nearest the furnace commonly gets the warmest air for the longest time and will be a degree or two warmer than other parts of your home.
Thanks for that!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Thanks very much, 'Boats, for reminding us that its the abrupt changes in temperature that can have negative effects on our parrots. And that the gradual change in temperature give the parrots ability and the chance to grow in a denser underlayer of down (which is in effect the insulation) and better enable the parrot to withstand a generally colder environment then one might expect.

Sailboats - always so patient and thorough in responding to members questions and concerns. My tri-cornered, embroidered pirate hat is off to you Sir.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks very much, 'Boats, for reminding us that its the abrupt changes in temperature that can have negative effects on our parrots. And that the gradual change in temperature give the parrots ability and the chance to grow in a denser underlayer of down (which is in effect the insulation) and better enable the parrot to withstand a generally colder environment then one might expect.

Sailboats - always so patient and thorough in responding to members questions and concerns. My tri-cornered, embroidered pirate hat is off to you Sir.
And, a high raised glass of Admiral's Grade Rum to you my Good Friend for your contributions.

Most Reactions