Cold room

TayKiren

Apr 11, 2019
Parrots
Parakeets
Hi everyone. I woke up today and my room was colder than usual. I'm not sure why, since it usually doesn't change too much. The rest of the house is fine, it's just at the end of the hall where there is a noticeable difference. I'd say my room is usually around 69-70 degrees fahrenheit, so maybe it's at 67 now? But I don't know exactly. Anyway, I'm wondering if this is a problem for the birds? They don't seem to be acting any different, and I assume I would know if they were cold. Is this correct? They're not fluffed or anything. We have space heaters, but I don't think it's worth using them without knowing if they're bird safe. Since they were bought who knows when, it's hard to look that information up.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

OP
TayKiren

TayKiren

Apr 11, 2019
Parrots
Parakeets
Okay so turns out something was wrong with the furnace. My dad fixed it. We're all good now lol

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Glad it was fixed! Smart to not use space heaters that you aren’t sure are bird safe. I have the small k&h bird warmer in my cages during the winter to deal any temperature fluctuations - they can snuggle up close to it if they feel chilled. My house is horribly insulated so when we get a cold spell outside it can get a bit chilly in the house.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We are real glad you didn't fire up those heaters. As you guessed, some re NOT parrot safe. To find out you need to contact the manufacturer, talk to the QA Mgr or the Compliance Officer, and ask for the MSDS on the coating(s) on the heater elements. MSDS is the Material Safety Data Sheet. You are looking for Teflon, PTFE, PFOA or other corrosion preventative.

Most Reactions

Latest posts