Companion parrots

Aph1988

Mar 14, 2021
So Iā€™m getting ready to get my first pet bird. Itā€™s going to be an African grey. I am considering getting another bird to be a companion to the African grey for when Iā€™m at work. I have been doing research and I like the idea of a green cheek conure because they are not overly noisy and for their friendliness with the whole family. I am thinking to keep them in separate cages but in the same room so they can interact while Iā€™m away. I am concerned however about them potentially bonding to each other more than they will bond with me. Does anyone have input or ideas on this situation? The African grey will be with me in April or may and will be fully weaned at 14 weeks. I am thinking about the green cheek conure that will be a weaned hand raised baby as well so they will be similar in age. Thank you in advance.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello, welcome to the forum, its great place to pick up so much info!! Even after 20 years of having parrots, I learn and pick up stuff all the time.

At 14 weeks, your African Grey will still need a lot of guidance and support. This species will stay with its parents even after weaning and fledging for up to a year. Getting occasional support feeding, being taught how to forage, and Getting emotional support. Its a critical time in a young birds life. So you will be needing to be spending a lot of time with him, supporting him with extra contact, teaching foraging, exposing him to every kind of veggies, leafy greens, rarely some fruits and nuts, sprouts, soaked and cooked legume, lentils ect. Young birds are programed to explore and mimic what the flock is doing. Spending extra time like all the time you are home, fooling with him, guiding him, teaching jim, will result in more confidence and independence as an adult bird.

This is good refresher on birds abd behaviors, even cover some common problems.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

This is just a fantastic article! Now you don't just leave your new bird in the cage and observe it, but rather try and make time everyday to observe. New babies often want to come out of the cage and be comforted by you right away. Follow your birds lead. I usually get my new bird out within an hour of coming home, but depends on how stressed they are,.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
yeah, do not get 2 species at once as a new owner...Especially since neither will be sexually mature and because they can change a ton at puberty, but also fight or be obsessive even before that (not to mention after)... For the grey, sexual maturity will take many years...

On top of that, you have never had parrots, and having 2 makes bonding harder than 1, but on top of that, sexual maturity can really mess with the bonds you thought you had.

"Thinking" about separate cages is not an option for this pairing. They need separate cages.

Hand-rasied babies, in theory, can raise just as much hell at puberty and after as those who are not. Just keep that in mind...Hand-raising helps, but it is not any guarantee.

A TAG/CAG will need 3-4 hours out of the cage daily..Conure will need 2-4..If they do not get along, do you have 8 hours to let them out and interact separately, keeping in mind that they each will need a solid 10-12 hours sleep nightly to maintain immune health, hormones and behavior?

Last edited:

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
I've got an african grey and a green cheek conure and I do NOT recommend this combination to anyone. Trigger sometimes jumps on Yoda (or tries to anyway) just for "fun" which could be deadly to Yoda. Or Trigger pokes his head at Yoda demanding skritches and Yoda replies by yanking a few feathers out, or fleeing in terror, or both.

In other words, we can't have them both out at the same time unless we are watching them both like a hawk, and sometimes not even then. It's a disaster. The size difference is just so dangerous.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Aph you are getting the very best advice from my friends above. PLEASE take it! Grays are really like small toddlers and need a lot of emotional support when juveniles . Plenty of toys, puzzles and foraging opportunities in his cage ( which should be changed and rearranged often) will keep him busy when you are at work. believe me, you will have your hands full teaching and bonding with just him. Good luck and let's see the baby when he arrives!

OP
A

Aph1988

Mar 14, 2021
Thanks everyone for the good advice and input on everything! Iā€™ll definitely stick to just the grey for now and cross that bridge down the line if I even need to.

Most Reactions

Latest posts