Concern with my testosterone med affecting ouconuresr

rkw

Aug 25, 2021
Parrots
two conjures one male one female
Hi All,

Brand new here and rand new to caring for conjures. Will def learn a lot about care/feeding, play & training.

I have been around them now for just a few months. First 2 were a lot of fun & getting them to adjust & accept me. Went fantastically for sure and I love them already. Both are about 2yrs old I think. Long story but my wife has had them since about 8-10 weeks or so and for a couple years.

I'm new to the flock and am total animal/bird lover so no worries at all there. Have to learn the species quirks & common behaviors or each individual for sure.

My concern is a recent aggressive change in our males' behavior. He has become playfully combative suddenly. He also has begun biting, not nibbling my ears to the point of painful. Luckily beak was damaged in a door related, ahem, incident well before I got here with them. That means the bite are hard but not as hard & painful as they would be with a fully working beak. But the damage is not the issue I'm discussing right now but concern medication is adversely affecting his hormone level, specifically testosterone.

Due to an injury I have to apply it daily for the rest of my life so it's not a choice or something I can stop taking. It is called T-Gel and is applied topically on my upper arm and shoulder.

A concern with it is it can affect others in my home so I need to let it absorb then put on a shirt for the next 3-5hrs give or take. Use a clean fresh shirt every day to avoid carrying over buildup.

I have a concern he has somehow been picking up enough to absorb and alter his t-level thus making him bit more assertive toward another male, in this case, as well as in general. He is my wife's best buddy and loves being held, scratched and cuddled. I can still do the same once I can get him to relax. So it's not a fact he doesn't trust me at all. It is how he now bites my ears very often.

And to quell other concerns I'm irresponsible in handling I wear a new glove to apply the medication so it's impossible be is picking it up from my hands. I have feeling it's through his feet when he lands on my shoulder even when wearing a shirt (he never is allowed when not wearing a shirt).

I guess I'm seeking info if anyone has experience with a similar issue? I'm betting this is a pretty rare issue, potential or otherwise. So any ideas. I simply can't do anything like wash the area for a good 5hrs or risk my health but also don't like even the potential of affecting this little bundle of feathers either. And wife allows both conjures & our 3 budgies to fly around during most of the day. We have an aviary we built otherwise where the spend the night & downtime.

I can't stop him from landing on me since it's a free-for-all of fun flying feathers all day...

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Hello RKW,

Have your doctor call in a script for Testosterone application to your axilla (armpit).
There are brand names such as Axiron & there are also generic Testosterone Topical solutions. It is a liquid thinner than a gel, but a little thicker than water. I'm familiar with the 30mg/1.5mls. You apply it after a shower daily. I suggest you shower in the evening after your birdies are put to bed at night. Plus, the axilla area is not a place where your birds can reach.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

OP
R

rkw

Aug 25, 2021
Parrots
Hello RKW,

Have your doctor call in a script for Testosterone application to your axilla (armpit).
There are brand names such as Axiron & there are also generic Testosterone Topical solutions. It is a liquid thinner than a gel, but a little thicker than water. I'm familiar with the 30mg/1.5mls. You apply it after a shower daily. I suggest you shower in the evening after your birdies are put to bed at night. Plus, the axilla area is not a place where your birds can reach.

hi Ya... thanks, that might be an option. Insurance does play a factor but will def discuss with him on next appt coming up in a couple weeks.

Will also research the bioavailability of each & compare.

OP
R

rkw

Aug 25, 2021
Parrots
Hello RKW,

It's actually called Axiron.

Most Reactions