Confused and a bit worried about mixed behavior

RedPanda560

Apr 18, 2023
Parrots
None atm
I finally got my baby, we drove an hour and a half to the shop and an hour and a half back, and they were fine during the ride, even bobbed their head up and down a couple times. We get home, and they dont want to be handled (which i understand, new people and a new environment is a big stressor) but for some reason theyre completely fine chilling on my shoulder for a little bit? They panic and scoot away if you try to touch them. They were pellet trained so i managed to get them to eat something *by hand*, but now after a couple hours of letting them stay out i put them up so they could get used to their cage. However, they've been hiding up in one spot towards the top of the cage. I dont know if anything is wrong, i assume i should just give them time to acclimate and watch their behavior from there? Anyway, heres a couple pics of my new lil guy, Naumri, with the last one where theyve been hiding up against (even with the door both open and closed) for a concerning amount of time now

I feel like im making a bigger deal of it than it is, but better to be safe than sorry

Attachments

• 20230422_161755.jpg
    20230422_161755.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230422_155633.jpg
    20230422_155633.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230422_141017.jpg
    20230422_141017.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 31

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I’m sure Naumri is just nervous in their new home.
Did you say in another thread all the babies were vet checked?
I can’t remember!

I remember when I brought Tom home 2 years ago he was very shy and though he would play with toys and eat, he would get uncomfortable if it was noisy or just a scary environment.
Do you have a gram scale? I would set a routine of weighing Naumri before breakfast and after the morning poop.
Are they eating?

OP
RedPanda560

RedPanda560

Apr 18, 2023
Parrots
None atm
I’m sure Naumri is just nervous in their new home.
Did you say in another thread all the babies were vet checked?
I can’t remember!

I remember when I brought Tom home 2 years ago he was very shy and though he would play with toys and eat, he would get uncomfortable if it was noisy or just a scary environment.
Do you have a gram scale? I would set a routine of weighing Naumri before breakfast and after the morning poop.
Are they eating?
I only just got them yesterday so im probably just being paranoid haha, but yes they are eating fortunately. I tried to get them to eat some dried banana and pineapple but they refused to. Our house is very quite, and he has a bunch of things we added to his cage to play with, but i feel like the cage could be bit bigger (we were gifted it by my moms "boss" whom shes a nanny for). The cage was originally for a cockatiel. And yes, they are vet checked and were clipped when we got them. I'll keep a tab and figure out there behavior more tomorrow and see if she settles down more in her new home. I'll probably use this forum occasionally here and there as a benchmark for their progress too lol, i cant help it

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I only just got them yesterday so im probably just being paranoid haha, but yes they are eating fortunately. I tried to get them to eat some dried banana and pineapple but they refused to. Our house is very quite, and he has a bunch of things we added to his cage to play with, but i feel like the cage could be bit bigger (we were gifted it by my moms "boss" whom shes a nanny for). The cage was originally for a cockatiel. And yes, they are vet checked and were clipped when we got them. I'll keep a tab and figure out there behavior more tomorrow and see if she settles down more in her new home. I'll probably use this forum occasionally here and there as a benchmark for their progress too lol, i cant help it
What size is the cage? As long as they’re out for several hours a day and have lots to play with and destroy in the cage, from the pics it should be fine.
I’ve found my green cheek doesn’t like dried fruit, only fresh, he has very specific textural preferences 🤭

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I finally got my baby, we drove an hour and a half to the shop and an hour and a half back, and they were fine during the ride, even bobbed their head up and down a couple times. We get home, and they dont want to be handled (which i understand, new people and a new environment is a big stressor) but for some reason theyre completely fine chilling on my shoulder for a little bit? They panic and scoot away if you try to touch them. They were pellet trained so i managed to get them to eat something *by hand*, but now after a couple hours of letting them stay out i put them up so they could get used to their cage. However, they've been hiding up in one spot towards the top of the cage. I dont know if anything is wrong, i assume i should just give them time to acclimate and watch their behavior from there? Anyway, heres a couple pics of my new lil guy, Naumri, with the last one where theyve been hiding up against (even with the door both open and closed) for a concerning amount of time now

I feel like im making a bigger deal of it than it is, but better to be safe than sorry
What a beautiful new birdie Naumri is, and congratulations to both of you.
But you are way rushing things here! I know you're nervous, excited, probably a bit apprehensive, and feel all the other confusing things you can possibly feel after making a commitment to adopt a living breathing creature that will be your companion for the next 20 years! Whew! Now imagine how Naumri must feel!
Take a deep breath, calm down, and read all the advice from all the fine people on this forum who have years of experience with conures just like Naumri who want to help you start an amazing relationship with your beautiful new friend!

OP
RedPanda560

RedPanda560

Apr 18, 2023
Parrots
None atm
What size is the cage? As long as they’re out for several hours a day and have lots to play with and destroy in the cage, from the pics it should be fine.
I’ve found my green cheek doesn’t like dried fruit, only fresh, he has very specific textural preferences 🤭
18" 18" 50"

I'll try this morning to see if they like fresh fruit

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Everything is so new to him right now that fam
Oops again!
That familiar foods may give him a much needed sense of normalcy. Plenty of time for Naumri to try new things after he settles in. Just look at that beautiful face and tell Naumri how happy you are to have him as your new best friend and watch some cartoons together! Remember, you're dealing with a perpetual toddler.

Most Reactions

Latest posts