Congenital abnormality help with Cockatiel needed

hyoslvr

May 6, 2021
On May 3rd I adopted a 1 mth old cockatiel with numerous congenital issues. More so for the sake of getting the bird away from the Craigslist "breeder" than in the interest of my own pocketbook. That being said, I am in dire need of advice. I have already seen 2 vets with the baby but I am still stumped as to what to do and there are no real fixes I have been offered. Opinions and knowledge welcome!.....

First off, the bird has an under bite. Has anyone had experience with manipulating the beak and lower mandible to correct this on a young bird and if so, has it worked? My bird's under bite is maybe 1/16" from the upper beak going over the lower, but it has his upper beak growing into it's tongue currently. I have been able to manipulate it and have held it in place for anything for a few seconds at a time to placing a piece of foam tape around the back of the bird's head and around the beak for a couple of hours. It seemed to help but of course it pops back into place when the apparatus is removed. Has anyone had luck with getting a beak to grow properly in the right direction contrary to how a bird was born?

Second, the bird was born with splay legs. I thought that is all the issue was, but it also appears to have a backwards lower leg from the knee down. In other words the right foot is backwards and it can only stand when fully hobbled. I have no issues with a disabled bird, but does anyone have any knowledge as to how to help strengthen what the bird has or has anyone dealt with surgery to correct a malformed leg?

Third, I think that the breeder damaged the air sacs that wrap around the back of the bird's neck. It could be from feeding or it could also be a congenital thing. Has anyone had any luck and if so, with air sacs that fill with food during hand feeding?

I obviously have my work cut out for me, but the bird is a month old and I think started this early, I can make a difference. The baby is a fighter and wants so badly to stand and to live! :yellow1:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
welcome to the forum! Thank for rescuing this very special bird.

This profound amount of defects probably points to inbreeding.

Pictures would help

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, deep respect to you for adopting a special needs bird! You have an opportunity to help offset abnormalities and foster and share a loving life with this cockatiel.

What sort of vets have you seen? Many are "exotic" practices but avian certified or equivalent is best. Such docs have significant additional education and possess specific equipment to manage and diagnose birds.

Sometimes a challenge to find an avian vet depending on location, may have lengthy drive. Other than local knowledge, there are search engines:
https://www.aav.org/page/finding_a_veterinarian
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/find-an-avian-vet/
https://zupreem.com/exotics-veterinary-clinics/how-to-find-an-avian-veterinarian-2/

I have experience with a Goffins born with incorrectly shaped beak. He was able to eat reasonably well, avian vet advised waiting a few months and constructed a temporary prosthetic worn for a while. Removed and beak has been normal!

Squeaky with defective beak
TDBuhlz.jpg

Wearing prosthesis
EnwhjO7.jpg

Other members may have good advice for young birds with splay legs. Good luck, a very worthy cause!!

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Good on you for bringing the little fella into your home

Sounds like a combination of the cockatiel not being properly fed when it was a chick, inbreeding and with the splayed legs it is usually the result of loose nesting substrate so the chick couldn't properly get a grip on the loose surface, causing the leg muscles and bones to become deformed. They are very difficult issues to fix, so it is important to fix any problems while the bird is still young. Vetinary attention is your best bet, I know of a couple different tricks to fix splayed legs (such as making up 'sandles' for the feet) but the extent your bird has got the problem I'm honestly not sure how it can be done without some kind of surgery.

Best of luck

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
On May 3rd I adopted a 1 mth old cockatiel with numerous congenital issues. More so for the sake of getting the bird away from the Craigslist "breeder" than in the interest of my own pocketbook. That being said, I am in dire need of advice. I have already seen 2 vets with the baby but I am still stumped as to what to do and there are no real fixes I have been offered. Opinions and knowledge welcome!.....

First off, the bird has an under bite. Has anyone had experience with manipulating the beak and lower mandible to correct this on a young bird and if so, has it worked? My bird's under bite is maybe 1/16" from the upper beak going over the lower, but it has his upper beak growing into it's tongue currently. I have been able to manipulate it and have held it in place for anything for a few seconds at a time to placing a piece of foam tape around the back of the bird's head and around the beak for a couple of hours. It seemed to help but of course it pops back into place when the apparatus is removed. Has anyone had luck with getting a beak to grow properly in the right direction contrary to how a bird was born?

Second, the bird was born with splay legs. I thought that is all the issue was, but it also appears to have a backwards lower leg from the knee down. In other words the right foot is backwards and it can only stand when fully hobbled. I have no issues with a disabled bird, but does anyone have any knowledge as to how to help strengthen what the bird has or has anyone dealt with surgery to correct a malformed leg?

Third, I think that the breeder damaged the air sacs that wrap around the back of the bird's neck. It could be from feeding or it could also be a congenital thing. Has anyone had any luck and if so, with air sacs that fill with food during hand feeding?

I obviously have my work cut out for me, but the bird is a month old and I think started this early, I can make a difference. The baby is a fighter and wants so badly to stand and to live! :yellow1:

They can fix scissor beak if you get him to a vet soon (when they are older, it doesn't work). It is a TREMENDOUSLY beneficial thing to take care of it now, as it can cause very serious problems down the road if you let the beak go too long without trimming. Scissor-beaked birds can end up with breathing problems and struggle to eat. My adult bird came to me this way and I'd highly advise "birdy braces" if you have that option.

I do not personally think that this should be a DIY process. You need a certified avian vet if you are messing with the beak (which is their entire existence).

Most Reactions

Latest posts