Considering adopting a green-winged macaw.

Dude

May 8, 2019
Arizona
A co-worker's roommate recently passed away and he owned an 18 month old green-winged macaw named Juicy. The parrot, cage, and everything else would be available at no cost. My main concern is he seems to have a fairly strong case of scissor beak. At rest the lower beak doesn't align with the upper beak at all. My co-worker says he eats fine and is really friendly. He didn't have any trouble climbing around in his cage.

This is not a picture of him. I just googled "scissor beak" and found an example that most closely resembled the condition of Juicy's beak. I've looked through the forums here a bit to get an idea of how this is dealt with. From what I've gathered it sounds like something that will have to be routinely maintained by a vet. Any information regarding how much something like that would cost, and anything else I should consider, would be appreciated.

Also, I feel I should add that I don't have any experience owning a large parrot. Previously I've had a cockatiel that lived to be 25 years old. Currently I have two parakeets, and will likely be adding 8 more from the same guy. I'm sure my current two will appreciate the much larger cage.

18012902314925.jpg

OP
D

Dude

May 8, 2019
Arizona
Well, never mind. The guy's daughter was able to return the bird to where he got him from. It's probably for the best. A macaw is a bigger responsibility than I should really be taking on right now anyway.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Poor bird. Thank you for considering (even though I know it is a non-issue now).
It is a huge responsibility, as you already stated. I hope that bird gets the attention and care it needs.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
If you ever contemplate a macaw, green wings are typically the friendliest and best suited for an inexperienced mac owner.

Most Reactions