Considering adopting an 18 year old U2

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
Gloria, BFA, adopted on Jan. 9, 2016 when she was 30 years old
. Her mom went to a nursing home.
Also have 2 cats (Rangerand Luna) and a 24 year old aquatic turtle, named Elvis.
My local independent pet store deals with Rehome my Pet. They always have birds. I adopted my 33 year old BFA from them almost 3 years ago. She's a really chill bird, who doesn't like hands and won't step up but she loves our companionship and gives us kisses and face rubs. Anyway, I was in the store yesterday getting supplies and they have an 18 year old U2 who seems very sweet. She was sitting atop a large wood perch. They've had her 2 weeks and said that she was quite sweet. Her family gave her up because she screams in the morning and has too much feather dust. The store owner wants to make sure she goes to a home with someone home all day. I'm a retired teacher and waited until I retired to get my Amazon for that reason. I think they need companionship and couldn't bear the thought of leaving a bird in the cage all day. We also have a couple of cats.

So my concern is this--if I adopt this bird--what is the best way to introduce her to Gloria (the BFA) who has always been an only? Is this even a good idea? I mean there are some times when Gloria has to be left alone--when I run errands and travel (about 4 days each quarter). My husband is home in the evenings then so she's never completely alone. Any suggestions or advice to help me with this decision would be welcome.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh Lord!!!! Read quelling Mrs. Rosetta Stone! Read thinking of getting a second bird thread! A very difficult bird, act completely different at home, need tons of attention!

OP
kozykitty

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
Also have 2 cats (Rangerand Luna) and a 24 year old aquatic turtle, named Elvis.
Thanks. I'll do that. I have a good friend who had an orange wing and a U2 and they ot along really well. I don't mind an active bird. I'm home all day and I enjoy interacting with them.

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
IF you adopt this U2 your home will never be quiet or clean again. And you will probably find your BFA getting louder as it competes with the U2.

They require tons of attention or they go neurotic on you , sometimes they go crazier even with attention. I said crazier because they are just out of control clowns most of the time.:eek:

They are very loving and if you want a bird that will not leave you alone than maybe a 2 is for you. However when you leave for several days don't be surprised if you come back to a plucked chicken.

Now it might be better since you have Gloria to keep the 2 company but don't bet on it.

I'm really not trying to talk you out of it. Just trying to make you aware of what you are getting into.

Noodles should be along shortly with more detailed advice.

Good Luck:41:

OP
kozykitty

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
Thanks. The noise and activity don't bother me. I spend much of the day singing to Gloria (retired music teacher and she appreciates it. LOL). I'm usually in the same room with her--she's in our family room where we hang out. She's definitely lower activity than a 2. I don't think she had many toys in her first home so I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what she likes to play with. So far, cardboard berry boxes and egg cartons are the winners--especially when I hide things in them. She's extremely happy shredding cardboard and can't be bothered with traditional parrot toys. I know that cockatoos are extreme in that department. I'm still just considering this. I need to get to know Snow (the U2) a little better.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
While it is crucial to venture into cockatoo-adoption territory with eyes wide open and armed with varied opinions, please don't lose sight of the fact not all cockatoos are winged demons filled with terror. I've given my examples of relative solitude with six individuals of two species, and am not an anomaly. A lot is determined by a cockatoo's early socialization and interactions with present would-be parronts.

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Clyde, Quaker; Freddie, tiel; Rocky, umbrella cockatoo.
I know we all make cockatoos, especially umbrellas, sound like the devil incarnate, and some days they are. LOL But some days they aren't, too. They're also very affectionate and funny and like to make you laugh. Yesterday Rocky was on his rolling perch in the kitchen while I did dishes (he wants to be in the middle of everything) and he started singing and dancing all by himself. Personally, I think 'toos should be only birds when possible because they need SO much time and attention.

OP
kozykitty

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
Gloria has a rolling perch as well and loves to be in the kitchen. I need to visit Snow (the possible adoptee) some more and get to know her. She's been at the shop 2 weeks and they said that she was a calm bird. She was very calm when I was there. I stood and "chatted" with her. She's pretty content on her tall perch.

Attachments

• 20181129_172933.jpg
    20181129_172933.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 63

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Since she still has all her featheres someone paid a lot of attention to her before. Do you know her back story?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I have a lot to say, but before I do, how old are you (sorry to ask)?
There is SOOOO much to say, but your age will be a giant factor in whether or not you should even consider this very huge and life-long undertaking.

Last edited:
OP
kozykitty

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
I am older--64. That's something I've considered. I hate the idea of a bird having to be rehomed at some point. My Amazon is 33 and I adopted her 3 years ago--figuring that maybe we'd kick the bucket around the same time. I've always adopted older animals since they are often overlooked. I'm a retired teacher and I do a lot of work from home stuff so I spend a lot of time with Gloria (BFA). I appreciate any input. I'm not dead set on doing this but I am interested in possibly doing it. I want to do what is best for the bird.

OP
kozykitty

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
Since she still has all her featheres someone paid a lot of attention to her before. Do you know her back story?

She was with one family for 18 years I believe. The shop owner was told that the screaming and feather dust were a problem but who really knows. She does appear to be well taken care of and she spends much of the day out of the cage at the shop where she gets a lot of attention. They don't put birds out that are aggressive. She also doesn't seem to show any preference toward men or women. She seems curious. I stood there talking to her and she climbed down from the highest branch to get closer--seeming curious. She was having fun shredding some cardboard also when I was there. I have to go in and visit more to get a better feel. That's what I did when I got my Amazon who was with one family for her whole life--also a beautiful full feathered, very gentle bird. The people that own this pet shop are also bird owners and they're quite knowledgeable.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I am older--64. That's something I've considered. I hate the idea of a bird having to be rehomed at some point. My Amazon is 33 and I adopted her 3 years ago--figuring that maybe we'd kick the bucket around the same time. I've always adopted older animals since they are often overlooked. I'm a retired teacher and I do a lot of work from home stuff so I spend a lot of time with Gloria (BFA). I appreciate any input. I'm not dead set on doing this but I am interested in possibly doing it. I want to do what is best for the bird.

I have an Umbrella Cockatoo and as much as I love the fact that you are interested in taking this on, I think it would be unfair to the bird (primarily due to age). We just had someone in their 70s post about re-homing an Umbrella because their health was failing and they no longer could keep up with the daily maintenance required for minimum health etc.

They are EXTREMELY DIFFICULT---BEYOND WORDS...Umbrellas and Mollucans (sp?) are notoriously the hardest and cockatoos in general are the most re-homed parrots, period. The problem is, they are EXTREMELY emotional and very very active. I am 30, and mine exhausts me to the bone. The amount of bending, scrubbing, training, routines etc...it is just insane. You cannot compare cockatoo ownership to any other bird ownership experience. It is very different--- even when compared to owning a larger bird, like a Macaw. That having been said, at 64, age is a very real concern...especially because at 18, the bird is like an 18 year-old-human with the personality of a toddler with wings and a beak...who will depend on you forever.

Let's say you get this bird and spend all day with it (because you can). Then something happens and you have to re-home the bird (again). The bird will be damaged because of A-the loss of you, and B- the change in routine (future owners will not likely be able to spend as much time with him/her). A or B alone would be reason enough not to adopt this bird, but you are potentially looking at both A & B. The average person will not be able to spend that much time with a U2 and U2's can become easily unhinged when their expectations and routines are not met/changed. Then you are looking at a bird that screams/plucks and bounces from home-to-home as a result of past emotional trauma (especially because this will not be the 1st time that it has been re-homed). Keep in mind, that he/she will also be a totally different bird outside of the pet-shop, as these birds tend to react poorly to change (plus, your home will not be nearly as stimulating/chaotic which means you will see things you didn't see at the store). Even though she lived with a family for 18 years, you are looking at taking her from the store (to which she is just getting accustomed) and then potentially having to re-home her again within the next 10-20 years (assuming no health problems arise)....Add to that, the fact that the adoption market is fairly flooded with cockatoos (all in need of new homes due to past owners having given them up).

For the bird's sake, please consider an alternative...As noble as your efforts are, this birds can live over 80 years, so unless you plan to be healthy and active until the age of 126, I would not go through with this.

Age aside, there are 1000 other reasons why cockatoos harder than any other parrot, but in this case, age is kind of a deal-breaker (at least in my opinion).

The dust is also insane (since you mentioned it) and it can cause health problems in people (young and old)...Daily vacuuming doesn't even make a dent (that is with an air purifier running 24/7 and bird showers)

THANK YOU FOR LOVING THESE BIRDS AND CARING ENOUGH TO ASK!

Last edited:
OP
kozykitty

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
Thanks. The concerns you've expressed are actually concerns I've had myself. I appreciate having them confirmed by an experienced U2 owner. I'm leaning toward not getting her at this point. While I love cockatoos, I'm aware of the challenges. I'm very comfortable with my BFA and I've always been partial to Amazons in general. Perhaps a senior Amazon will come along.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
They can be so much fun and they are HILARIOUS, but they can so easily stop being fun/hilarious when their worlds are upset (and often, even when they aren't lol). I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news...I just don't think that it would be a smart move for you or the bird...The bird would certainly suffer if re-homed yet again. Thank you for being so conscientious and open-minded! I also applaud the fact that you wanted to help this bird! It just may be a job better left for someone else at this point.

I also think that there are likely many senior birds (in general..maybe not Toos) in need of homes who would likely fit your situation better, so I hope I haven't been too discouraging. I am so happy that you WANT to adopt an older bird!

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don't know Noodles, you are amazing, and your Too knowledge is spot on, and everything you say is needed to be heard! But, the odds of a young adopter coming along, who could provide the right home, ate very slim. Maybe the here and now great home for twenty years if happy healthnes , and the hope add maybe the work to pass her on to the next great home is worth it??? I've read that though in the wild they bond for life, the average parrot has three or four mates, as circumstances lead to the death it separation of mates throughout life. I worked with Mississippi Sandhill Cranes , who mate for life and live 6o years or more, and occasionally, they would leave a mate after being being with them for years and years and seek new mates. Both would often take young never mated before mates, the thought was that nature programed this so one of the pair would be experienced in raiseing young. As first time parents iften fail for years in getting a clutch raised. Perhaps parrots do this as well, there isn't a lot if long term data on wild parrot pairs..

TiredOldMan

Apr 24, 2018
Media
South Central Texas
Parrots
CAG Hen-Gracie age unknown, U2 Rooster-Anakin 13YO
The majority of pet birds do not even come close to their "life expectancy" as stated by.....I have no idea who comes up with those figures.:confused:

If you feel after due research that you can provide a good home for this 2 then by all means go for it.

If you were going to "MAYBE" guarantee that you could spend all your time with a 2 for it's entire expected life you would have to acquire said 2 and retire at birth. I don't know anyway you could do that.:rolleyes:

BTW 64 is not old now days. It just feels like it, especially in the morning.:p

No one knows what the future holds for them. Anyone of us could have an accident or drop dead at anytime. If you have the love, time, and financial resources to give a bird a decent home with good interaction than do it.

Noodles,
Not trying to be an a** but by your logic the age of your U2 is 10. You have stated you are 30 and that U2s live to 80. I really do hope that you live to 100.;)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
OH- I know, I am planning on putting her in my will (search the forum and you will find a post on it). Most 30-year-olds do not have wills unless they have kids. I am not saying that my logic doesn't sound contradictory, but I had no idea then, what I know now!

At the time, I figured that she wouldn't be that much harder than an African Grey or something, so I figured that even at 90, I could handle it (she also had a health condition which has since been corrected). On top of that, I anticipated medical advances which might allow me to live that long lol--I mean, 30 years from the time I adopted her, I figured that life expediencies would have increased (based on past trends)!

Now, is that kind of silly, yes...do I think mine will live to 80? Probably not...but I have to assume that she could. In theory, it is at least possible that I could live to 100 (again, doubt it, but not medically impossible) lol. By the time I get older, it is very possible that "100 will be the new 90" lol. You said it yourself, 60 isn't what it used to be...So, I figured that by the time I got "old", science would help me out. That was BEFORE I actually got my little friend/child/life-long toddler :) It was a choice I made before I was 30! lol-- Now, I feel older than I did at the time, and I am not even old.

The point is, we aren't talking to someone who has made a commitment and it is best to make those commitments with eyes wide-open.
I didn't say 64 was old, but by 74 or 84, caring for a too is going to be rough. Additionally, many birds don't live as long as they could due to human error (e.g., Teflon, infection, poor diet, lack of activity etc).
There is an 80 year old cockatoo named Buster on Youtube (so that is proof that it can and does happen).

I wish someone would have been a bit more stubborn when I adopted mine (I still would have done it, because I am stubborn too...but probably not if I could have truly experienced even a few months of life with her ahead of time WITHOUT the bond). I am bonded as can be now, so there is nothing I wouldn't do for my bird at this point....I love her a ton (beyond what I ever would have anticipated), but I was so convinced that it would be easier than it has been..EVEN AFTER spending lots of time on MyToos.com and on top of past bird experience.

My "Too" is a nice, social girl with lots of lovable qualities, but at 80+, it is going to be VERY hard (if not impossible) for me to keep up with her (assuming I make it that long). I have already "made my bed" so I must proceed with my own guilt/fears/complications and make it work to the best of my abilities...This person is just asking, so I am being as honest as I can.

Last edited:
OP
kozykitty

kozykitty

Dec 29, 2015
Columbia, Maryland
Parrots
To be honest--age has always been a consideration for me. I'd always wanted a parrot--having spent much of my formative years taking care of my Aunt's BFA. I never felt it was fair to get one while I worked full time and spent my family time carpooling kids everywhere. When I decided to retire 3 years ago, I happened to meet my current bird whose "mother" had gone to a nursing home. Her son tried to take care of Gloria for a while but couldn't. I figured with her being 30 and me being 61, we probably would last about the same time.

Sadly, Gloria's original owner had her on a seed diet for 30 years. Her cholesterol was high and I worked really hard to get her on a healthy diet which corrected that. She is starting to show some age related issues but she does see an avian vet regularly.

I'm actually a fan of senior animals and do peruse a couple of rescues in the event the right one comes along. I've found a well loved senior animal is often easy to transition--especially if they had lived with an older person prior where they are used to that slower pace.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Another thought, she hasn't been in the pet store long. If she had to stay for months and months before finding a home, she may not transition as easy, because by then she will have become used to the endless amount of admirers who come in and say hi. So I'm pro for her going home with a retired person, who has their eyes open to the challenges.

Most Reactions

Latest posts