Considering…

• Thread starter Deleted member 43256
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 43256

Hi!

I’m new to these forums, so apologies if I’m posting in the wrong place. I’m considering an African Grey, specifically the Congo sub-species. A little bit about me:

I’ve owned birds before, but only small ones, budgies. They lived a long life, but tragically passed due to diseases. I’m looking for an African Grey because they just seem like lovely birds. Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty of things about them that aren’t so attractive, like their poop. I am aware they are high maintenance, and very costly, the price of the bird along is high. I’ve come across quite a bit of scams, but finally found African Queen Aviaries. I’ll be working from 8 - 3:30, but am willing to spend 3:30 - 7 with the bird. I’m in Toronto right now, but am moving to Ohio sometime this year. Once settled down, I plan on buying everything (cage, toys, food, etc) then purchasing the bird. It’s diet will consist of 70% pellets, 30% veggies and seeds, plus occasional fruits. It’ll get a vet checkup every six months, and I’ve located an avian vet, with 24/7 emergency care nearby where I plan to live. It’ll have a large cage, with plenty of toys. A play gym will be outside the cage, and it’ll get a lot of play time. The cage will be big. I plan on keeping it in my room, where I spend a lot of time. My family spends time in the lounge, mostly, but I don’t want to risk the bird getting attracted to the wrong person. Sorry if this got a little lengthy, but if you made it this far; thanks! Please do take the time to respond.

OP
D

Deleted member 42416

How wonderful you are seeking advice ahead of time! Well, we do not have a AG, but we do have a cockatoo. My husband is at home with him all day and we actually waited on a larger parrot until one of us was able to stay at home. All parrots are very social creatures and 3.5 hours a day outside the cage may not be enough. These guys can have the emotional needs and intelligence of a 3-5 yo human child. Being alone in a room can lead to neuroses and self mutilating behaviors. It is best for the birby to be amongst family and get better socialized. You will have a much happier pet if they get to be in the thick of things!

Birds are wonderful pets! However, May I very kindly suggest that you may not be quite ready for the time commitments of an AG. Even the smaller ones need socialization and a family cockatiel or conure sounds like a much better fit!

Good luck with your next birby adventure and much admiration for seeking advice early!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi and welcome! Its so nice to read about a prospective owner doing their research! African greys are wonderful parrots, but be prepared ! They are extremely smart and observant. That smartness means they take a lot of effort to be engaged and stimulated as much as possible. Easily as smart as a 4-5 yr old human child, so keep that in mind when planning the parrots day schedule and surroundings. Most parrots do best when in the middle of family life. As far as who they decide is their 'person' its really hard to channel that, they just do. But even if you turn out to not be the chosen one, you can still play a big part in the parrots life. My little 'zon LOVES my oldest son, but Salty and I spend a lot of time together and very enjoyable time at that. He'll happily sit on my shoulder or play with me or do trick training. A lot will depend on you and positive reenforcement with your parrot.

OP
D

Deleted member 43256

Hi and welcome! Its so nice to read about a prospective owner doing their research! African greys are wonderful parrots, but be prepared ! They are extremely smart and observant. That smartness means they take a lot of effort to be engaged and stimulated as much as possible. Easily as smart as a 4-5 yr old human child, so keep that in mind when planning the parrots day schedule and surroundings. Most parrots do best when in the middle of family life. As far as who they decide is their 'person' its really hard to channel that, they just do. But even if you turn out to not be the chosen one, you can still play a big part in the parrots life. My little 'zon LOVES my oldest son, but Salty and I spend a lot of time together and very enjoyable time at that. He'll happily sit on my shoulder or play with me or do trick training. A lot will depend on you and positive reenforcement with your parrot.

Okay, so I should keep the cage in the lounge? I have family members home all day, and they hang out there. What do other big bird owners do? Work from home? The breeder I plan to buy from teaches the bird independent play, and the cage will be big enough for it to play in. The cage will have a lot of toys as well.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Hello and welcome!!

AG was always my dream bird!! Despite that I am already settled and working from home, with a partner who adores birds as well, I decided not to get an AG any time soon. However, I keep dreaming, perhaps one day I may be graced by an AG, who knows.

Big poops would be the least of your problems. The reason I decided not for an AG is simply how sensitive they are to changes. As others mentioned, they are incredibly smart and observant, which is why they need a loooot of time to spend with. Another is I do travel from time to time. When I travelled, I could "board" the budgie to my mother in law (to be) and all is well. But what to do with a bigger bird, especially if they are strongly bonded to me? Giving to the same person is not possible. The care budgie vs AG are levels apart. Aside of budgie that we still have, I had an IRN for 20+ years, grew up with the bugger, I did. But I must admit - good thing I did not get an AG yet, because I sure wouldn't be ready if any issues pop up like the behaviour, biting, choosing my partner instead of me, hormones, shouting, and the list goes on.

A few times I visited an old couple that were rescuing parrots, and managing them all alone, in their flat. I remember, aside of a couple of eclectuses, couple of alexes and bunch of budgies and cockatiels, they had 5, I do not joke, 5 abandoned African greys. One was given in because of a birth defect. 3 of them because of aggression towards everyone or simply becuase people couldn't take care of them after a few years. One because of plucking and same issue - change of jobs, cannot keep it up. Bird was firmly bonded with the guy, the guy started traveling for work, the wife would stay but the bird would just get depressive, didn't want to do anything with the wife and then started plucking.
That one which plucked had immediate connection with me, it was incredible. He did not nip me as the fosters warned, and that he will pluck even while on the shoulder. He did none of those things. Sadly, at that time I had no job, lived in a very small flat, it was impossible for me to take him. Later on the couple moved further away, too far for me, so I couldn't go and volounteer and perhaps re-connect with Phoenix (that special AG). Such is life.

Instead I went with a small adorable conure, and boy it was a journey to get him tame. Eventhough he is just 53 grams of mischief, he is SO full of energy, so demanding. I just try to imagine all the issues I had with Pascal (my Emma's conure) but like, with a bigger bird. Oh, I would be so heartbroken! And those issues weren't even THAT big, honestly.

Another thing that deterred me from getting an AG is simply how long they live... Honestly I am still quite young, but imagining a bird that might even outlive me, or be with me until I become a granny, it scared me! Sooo, perhaps if I could rescue an older one, one day, I might do it.

Don't be fooled by smaller parrots, they can equally be friendly, smart and little stinkers with their own issues. Equally loved, equally fun. But I dare say, perhaps bit easier to manage.

Sorry for being Debbie Downer, but 'tis the truth with parrots..!

OP
D

Deleted member 43256

Hello and welcome!!

AG was always my dream bird!! Despite that I am already settled and working from home, with a partner who adores birds as well, I decided not to get an AG any time soon. However, I keep dreaming, perhaps one day I may be graced by an AG, who knows.

Big poops would be the least of your problems. The reason I decided not for an AG is simply how sensitive they are to changes. As others mentioned, they are incredibly smart and observant, which is why they need a loooot of time to spend with. Another is I do travel from time to time. When I travelled, I could "board" the budgie to my mother in law (to be) and all is well. But what to do with a bigger bird, especially if they are strongly bonded to me? Giving to the same person is not possible. The care budgie vs AG are levels apart. Aside of budgie that we still have, I had an IRN for 20+ years, grew up with the bugger, I did. But I must admit - good thing I did not get an AG yet, because I sure wouldn't be ready if any issues pop up like the behaviour, biting, choosing my partner instead of me, hormones, shouting, and the list goes on.

A few times I visited an old couple that were rescuing parrots, and managing them all alone, in their flat. I remember, aside of a couple of eclectuses, couple of alexes and bunch of budgies and cockatiels, they had 5, I do not joke, 5 abandoned African greys. One was given in because of a birth defect. 3 of them because of aggression towards everyone or simply becuase people couldn't take care of them after a few years. One because of plucking and same issue - change of jobs, cannot keep it up. Bird was firmly bonded with the guy, the guy started traveling for work, the wife would stay but the bird would just get depressive, didn't want to do anything with the wife and then started plucking.
That one which plucked had immediate connection with me, it was incredible. He did not nip me as the fosters warned, and that he will pluck even while on the shoulder. He did none of those things. Sadly, at that time I had no job, lived in a very small flat, it was impossible for me to take him. Later on the couple moved further away, too far for me, so I couldn't go and volounteer and perhaps re-connect with Phoenix (that special AG). Such is life.

Instead I went with a small adorable conure, and boy it was a journey to get him tame. Eventhough he is just 53 grams of mischief, he is SO full of energy, so demanding. I just try to imagine all the issues I had with Pascal (my Emma's conure) but like, with a bigger bird. Oh, I would be so heartbroken! And those issues weren't even THAT big, honestly.

Another thing that deterred me from getting an AG is simply how long they live... Honestly I am still quite young, but imagining a bird that might even outlive me, or be with me until I become a granny, it scared me! Sooo, perhaps if I could rescue an older one, one day, I might do it.

Don't be fooled by smaller parrots, they can equally be friendly, smart and little stinkers with their own issues. Equally loved, equally fun. But I dare say, perhaps bit easier to manage.

Sorry for being Debbie Downer, but 'tis the truth with parrots..!

Right now it seems I’m kinda low on brain cells, I am aware of their many many many other problems, but they just weren’t coming to me at the moment. To be honest, I do have severe social anxiety, so I don’t travel much. Like at all. Well, anyway, I’m looking into a cockatiel or a conure now. It’s too bad I’ll have to change my name!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, thank you for thorough intro and willingness to research before making impulse purchase! Greys are magnificent parrots, available in Congo and Timneh sub species. I'd encourage a read of Cag 101, written by long-term member with superb insights: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/cag-101.59366/

Good luck, plenty of Grey parronts happy to advise!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I had a Timneh Grey for 28 years before she passed about seven years ago. It was uncanny on how freakin' smart she was! Her ability to understand language and read her surroundings and talking in context was mind boggling and her ability to cause mayhem and trouble too!

As mentioned by others,with ALL parrots they need to be in the middle of things,not left in a room by his/herself for who knows how many hours of the day. Both Amy and Smokey had their houses in the living room and were out of their houses most of the day. At the time my mom was a live and home all day and she socialized with both birds while I worked. Smokey was with mom so much that she talked in my moms voice,her first words were HOW ARE YOU??? said just as mom removed her house cover in the morning,mom said she almost s*** herself when she heard that.

Smokes was a wild-caught,about 6 months old when she came home with me. She DID NOT like hands at all but in time enjoyed sitting on my shoulder for hours,gurgling in my ear,pulling at my beard and preening my hair. She accepted everyone in the family,would whistle and talk nonsense to anyone.
They are social creatures..personally I think it is cruel and inhumane to leave any parrot in a room alone.
Welcome to the forum! It is great that you are doing research and thinking this through to help any future birdy to have the happiest and healthiest life with you and your family. Rememer...being owned by a parrot is a life long commitment as they can live 50 years or longer!

Jim

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 43256

I had a Timneh Grey for 28 years before she passed about seven years ago. It was uncanny on how freakin' smart she was! Her ability to understand language and read her surroundings and talking in context was mind boggling and her ability to cause mayhem and trouble too!
As mentioned by others,with ALL parrots they need to be in the middle of things,not left in a room by his/herself for who knows how many hours of the day. Both Amy and Smokey had their houses in the living room and were out of their houses most of the day. At the time my mom was a live and home all day and she socialized with both birds while I worked. Smokey was with mom so much that she talked in my moms voice,her first words were HOW ARE YOU??? said just as mom removed her house cover in the morning,mom said she almost s*** herself when she heard that.

Smokes was a wild-caught,about 6 months old when she came home with me. She DID NOT like hands at all but in time enjoyed sitting on my shoulder for hours,gurgling in my ear,pulling at my beard and preening my hair. She accepted everyone in the family,would whistle and talk nonsense to anyone.
They are social creatures..personally I think it is cruel and inhumane to leave any parrot in a room alone.
Welcome to the forum! It is great that you are doing research and thinking this through to help any future birdy to have the happiest and healthiest life with you and your family. Rememer...being owned by a parrot is a life long commitment as they can live 50 years or longer!

Jim
Thanks for the info….

OP
D

Deleted member 43256

Welcome, thank you for thorough intro and willingness to research before making impulse purchase! Greys are magnificent parrots, available in Congo and Timneh sub species. I'd encourage a read of Cag 101, written by long-term member with superb insights: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/cag-101.59366/

Good luck, plenty of Grey parronts happy to advise!!
Thanks, I read the thread. I’m not going to buy a CAG anymore, but am looking into a cockatiel or a conure.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Didn't know if I had shared yet?

Oops I see you may not be interested in this species anymore but I will leave the link

OP
D

Deleted member 43256

Didn't know if I had shared yet?

Oops I see you may not be interested in this species anymore but I will leave the link

That’s fine. Thanks for the link. I’m continuing my research on these birds, and may buy one later one, when I am more suited to buy it.

Edit: I read the link, and obviously I am not suited for these amazing birds. They need a lot of time, and I just can’t afford that right now, nor can a financially support a second CAG. The link was ful of valuable information regardless. Thanks for sharing it.

CraigH

Mar 31, 2022
Yes, yes, YES to "in the middle of things". My rescue has been downright personable here in the living room and in his tree in the bedroom at night. I don't find the poops to be an issue at all--newspaper beneath his perching spots, and a moist paper towel for the occasional travel deposit. I also think it's important that I'm home 80-90% of the time so he gets plenty of conversation time. (And he loves watching live sports with me on the TV, to the point where he cheers at all the appropriate moments).

I'd recommend not to segregate the bird out of fear of alternate attachments--my experience with mine is that he's "love at first sight" with all sorts of other people, and though he CLEARLY likes my daughter, my fiancee, and most any kind woman better than he likes me, he's still very much my "frat bro" roommate and most comfortable and trusting with me--I'm sure because we spend the most time together. I'd expect being kept apart from people would make any bird more anxious and frustrated and likely to act out than it's worth in any case. Mine thrives on attention of every kind, and is sweeter to me when he's getting plenty of it.

As for diet, you can think you're in charge all you want, but the bird will make his/her demands regardless. Mine, out of character for greys as I understand it, prefers pellets (Zupreem Fruit Blend) and relies on them for 99% of his diet. He'd eat cashews and pistachios all day long if I provided them, (but don't--high fat food is very bad for CAG's and will give them fatty liver disease), but he throws back all the fruit, vegetables, and other "people food" as if I'm trying to poison him. Yet other greys I've known have thrived on mashed potatoes and steamed veggies and all sorts of other stuff and avoided pellets. Expect to have to reach a healthy compromise and engineer their diet depending on the bird's preferences.

Best of luck!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts