COnure Advice

bronterose_xo

Feb 1, 2021
West Yorkshire, England
Parrots
Pineapple GCC
I want some advice if anybody could give it to me, I have a 10 month old conure I rehomed about a week ago and shes already come so far from where she was and im so proud of her!! But everytime i try to go near her she runs to the back of her cage really quicky, I can give her treats from my hand and she seems really happy whenever she sees me and shouts for me when i walk into another room, but if i even try to put another hand anywhere near her she just hides or flies away... and when she does take treats from me she usually tends to hide to eat it. I know shes still only young but it makes me so sad that she so scared, which makes me thing she was rushed into someone trying to tame her with her last owner as they had small children. Any help or advice would be useful, thank you love bronte and phoenix and billy :orange: :blue2:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You haven't had her long enough to build trust and your bird, while young, they mature sexually around 1 year of age in most cases, so keep that in mind.

I wouldn't grab her out of the cage etc- instead, I'd work on station training, target training and recall training. You don't have to touch a bird to do these things (with the exception of recall training..if you call them back to your arm or something). Some birds have a fear of hands and it just takes time to associate your hands with good things. Don't do anything scary or sudden with your hands, and keep your hands as positive as possible. If your bird is hesitant or scared, try not to push it.

Instead of taking your bird out of the cage, have you been working on allowing your bird to come in and out of the cage independently (supervised, of course).

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Go out of your way to reassociate her reactions to your actions! Do a lot of ‘fake’ approaches to her cage! Avoid eye contact! You can see her safe zone around the cage, respect it for now!
Work towards, "Oh, a human is coming near my sanctuary, where’s my walnut?"

OP
bronterose_xo

bronterose_xo

Feb 1, 2021
West Yorkshire, England
Parrots
Pineapple GCC
She does come out by herself but sometimes i have to help her back in before going to bed meaning guiding her toward going back in, she doesnt come close if there is more than one hand involved and only leans in to get treats before backing off again, when i say runnig to the back of her cage i mean whilst she is out. Of course i accept that she hasnt been here very long im just nervous that she will never over come her fear and i will never be able to bond with her and hand tame her, thanks for the help

Most Reactions

Latest posts