Conure died suddenly - lost for words

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I had a quick cry at reading what happened. I'm so sorry.
I will tell you this: I will think of you and Fussy as I climb the stairs to the Rickeybird's room. In the back of my mind EVERY time is "I hope he's okay". I call out to him as I take the first step and usually get a reassuring response before my foot hits the second.

Every time. For all these years. I hope to outlive him, which means, someday, what happened to you and Fussy may well happen to me and the Rbird. I don't know what scares me more... the devastating, unexpected loss... or the long drawn-out struggle.

I was reading Einstein's theory of relativity the other day. Just finally wondered what it meant. It was fascinating to learn how time, mass, velocity... it's all relative. Time, for example, is not as straightforward as it seems. This is of course only MY half-baked interpretation, but...

Time is a continuum, relative, each moment linked to future and past points. So once a thing has existed, it's still reachable, it's always there. I think he may have believed in time travel. So as some have already suggested, Fussy is still here, and your living love is still here, and will be eternally.

So many wonderful ideas above.

As somebody said to me when my mother passed, "May the sorrow of losing her soon be outweighed by the joy of having had her in your life".

Last edited:
OP
Lotusflower

Lotusflower

Oct 18, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Fussy the Green Cheek Conure.
Oct 5th 2006 - Oct 18th 2016.
R.I.P
I had a quick cry at reading what happened. I'm so sorry.
I will tell you this: I will think of you and Fussy as I climb the stairs to the Rickeybird's room. In the back of my mind EVERY time is "I hope he's okay". I call out to him as I take the first step and usually get a reassuring response before my foot hits the second.

Every time. For all these years. I hope to outlive him, which means, someday, what happened to you and Fussy may well happen to me and the Rbird. I don't know what scares me more... the devastating, unexpected loss... or the long drawn-out struggle.

I was reading Einstein's theory of relativity the other day. Just finally wondered what it meant. It was fascinating to learn how time, mass, velocity... it's all relative. Time, for example, is not as straightforward as it seems. This is of course only MY half-baked interpretation, but...

Time is a continuum, relative, each moment linked to future and past points. So once a thing has existed, it's still reachable, it's always there. I think he may have believed in time travel. So as some have already suggested, Fussy is still here, and your living love is still here, and will be eternally.

So many wonderful ideas above.

As somebody said to me when my mother passed, "May the sorrow of losing her soon be outweighed by the joy of having had her in your life".

Thank you for taking the time to write your words of kindness and support.
I had a giggle when you said you call out to your bird before you enter the room - I used to do this with Fussy too!!!!
I was forever in fear of something happening to him - especially if he was quiet for longer than a few minutes. He was never a noisy bird but I would always hear his chatter or his grinding beak or the sound of him ripping up paper. He was always busy doing something.

OP
Lotusflower

Lotusflower

Oct 18, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Fussy the Green Cheek Conure.
Oct 5th 2006 - Oct 18th 2016.
R.I.P
I have not eaten since his passing and have not slept either. Just sitting awake in the chair and thinking that any moment I will wake from this bad dream and it will all be over and I will open my eyes and my little Fussy will be sitting on my shoulder.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Big ol' Patagonian hugs to you, Lotus.
Here's a confession.
I have a standard nightmare about the Rbird. Two, actually.

First... somehow he gets lost in a huge flock of Patagonians, and I can't tell which one is mine. Sometimes there's a happy ending and he flies to me or talks or sings. Sometimes I wake up in a terrible panic.

Second... somehow I have forgotten about him or lost him and when I find him he is so weak from hunger and thirst that he seems ready to die. I anxiously try to feed him. That's where that one usually wakes me up.

Hey, maybe now that I've told about these bad dreams, they'll go away.

More Patagonian hugs, in any event. :)

Last edited:

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. We lost our beloved GCC Charlie very suddenly this past spring and we were just devastated. Its super horrible at first - don't deny your grief, mourn your loss but temper it with all your wonderful memories together. We hired a local artist to do a portrait of him so you might consider a project in his memory (donate to a local rescue, portrait, scrapbook etc). Just support from myself and a community of people who have been there. Losing a loved pet is really really tough, especially when its sudden. Fussy sounds like a wonderful little guy and I can understand your devastation.

Skittles2016

Oct 1, 2016
U.K, England
Parrots
1 yellow sided gcc: skittles
2 budgies: millie and jim

{r.i.p my baby coco and misty the sweetest cockatiels}
I have not eaten since his passing and have not slept either. Just sitting awake in the chair and thinking that any moment I will wake from this bad dream and it will all be over and I will open my eyes and my little Fussy will be sitting on my shoulder.

I hope by now you have or are finally resting. I know it doesn't bring fussy back but when I lost my coco I just wanted to sit by her cage and tell her her cage door was open and she's always welcome to come and go as she pleases and I know its not massively helpful but i found comfort in talking to her cage. It really felt like when she passed her 'ghost' made its way from the horrible vet place back to her home where she's loved and she can rest here in the afterlife. I also have a feather of hers in a frame. I know it might be too late and you don't want want to see fussys little body gone from this life but maybe if you don't already, it would be nice to have a feather of his you could put somewhere so that you always have something of his physically with you.

We will all be here to mourn and support you, and I'm tearing up as a write this because it's so heartbreaking to know how alone you feel right now. But please know that you are not. As I said, we here on this forum and fussy are here to look after and help you along until you feel ready to let him go and rest and can look back on the happy memories.

When coco had her autopsy done and the vets spoke to me (they never found anything but they listed off things and they said that her body condition was great other than whatever unfortunately killed her) I felt like everything that could be done was done and all I wanted to do then was say "you can go and sleep now" and i sort of felt at peace? And so I hope you can at the right time find peace in fussys passing throughout your grief. X

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
So sorry. However, getting a necropsy done is always a good idea when you have no idea what went wrong. And the ground is actually a good insulator so the body will still be at a good temp and not broken down. It's hard to think of it but so necessary to know if something in the home hurt him.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Would you be open to joining an animal-related grief support group? Many shelters and some veterinary clinics offer a caring environment to share your loss with like-minded folks. I realize we all grieve differently and for some solitude in the home and the passage of time is best.

Many of us have experienced similar loss and are here for you.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Oh my I'm so very sorry. I love GCCs and can't imagine the sorrow. Hoping your memories will one day produce more laughter than tears.

Most Reactions