Conure gripping issue.

Brooklyn12

Jan 16, 2021
So about two weeks ago while i was target training with my conure, I noticed something very odd. I call his name and he flys to my finger, give him a treat and put him back on the stand and we repeat the exercise. However one of the times he missed my hand and flew to my shoulder. When he landed on me he didnt make it all the way so he had to climb up but he was struggling to do that almost as if he couldn't or it was extremely difficult. I thought nothing of it maybe just a slip up but these past few weeks ive noticed him struggling to grip my shirts. He is eating fine, he eats his treats with his feet normally, when I take him out he climbs up to the top of his cage it seems like without a struggle atleast thats what it seems like.

I worry because since ive gotten him (he's 1 year 3 months) I call him the most athletic bird ive ever had due to him literally climbing down my shirt and hanging off of me like spiderman does a wall and him climbing upside down in his cage doing pull-ups and hanging off the top with one leg. He recently got his nails trimmed but that was like a week ago and I noticed this 2 weeks ago. Unless my memory betrays me is it possible the nail trim and made him lose his confidence in his grip? I just dont see how thats possible especially since he eats a good amount of food with his feet.

I guess a little background info with him, I've always found he had a funny way of walking around, he would use his beak to balance himself when walking forward sometimes almost as if he was using his beak to carve a path, I always felt like he could never balance himself well on my shoulder which is why he would hang off my shirts.

He JUST had a checkup 5 days ago for his yearly visit and the doctor said he is a healthy bird so I'm not sure what this could be, I hope its nothing but do any of you have experiences with this or any ideas what this could be?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I can not say. As you know him best.

I can say as a behavior thing , my green cheek will also walk on soft surfaces like a couch with beak down like you described . She doesn't have any perch problems, but sometimes seems to prefer hanging off me.

OP
B

Brooklyn12

Jan 16, 2021

I can say as a behavior thing , my green cheek will also walk on soft surfaces like a couch with beak down like you described . She doesn't have any perch problems, but sometimes seems to prefer hanging off me.
Ok, I always found it odd when it came to the couch thing lol, figured it was just the way he walked. He doesn't have trouble perching, or gripping my finger, sometimes I wiggle my hand a little to see if he grips it tighter and he does , not overly tight but again im not trying to scare him.
I guess its best to keep an eye on it, see if he continues to struggle to climb anything thats not his cage bars.

OP
B

Brooklyn12

Jan 16, 2021

Update : So I watched him a bunch yesterday and this morning, he climbs his cage fine no assistance needed he didnt use his beak at all all legs lol.
However today I did a test and told him to climb up my shirt and he wouldn't do it, then i helped him out and gave him my shoulder but not all the way so he would have to climb up. He gripped it with his beak and for 30 seconds I watched him struggle to grip my shirt, it was almost like he was missing the shirt and just could not pull himself up and he almost slipped and I gave him some assistance.
Could this be a confidence thing?, I am setting up an appointment with the vet but what exactly could they check him for? could blood work maybe find something ? He climbs the cage well which is why i get so confused

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
All of my parrots use beak to climb cage walls or up my clothing .

Nail trimm if over trim can yes make feet sore and possibly not grip as tightly

Its so hard to know from across the web.
So its fantastic that you already consulted an avian veterinarian. And are considering a second visit.

Hopefully everything is fine. And this is just worry. BTW I'm a master at worries over my pets!

But if you can share a video ? Then we can all weigh in with our personal ( non professional) opinions.
Pictures of bird and set up also welcome .

There are things that can maybe match what you are seeing..the ones that come to mind is chronic zinc toxicity , or virus .

I've seen overdose of vitamins also cause ataxia..
.as well as nutritional deficiencies..

How long have you noticed this?
So whst exactly is he eating?
And can yiu share a poop picture? Not his first poop of tge day....those are weird..but a fresh poop from the middle of the day, early evening.

Most Reactions

Latest posts