Conure incubator

Semsem

Feb 14, 2022
Anyoneā€™s help will greatly appreciated,
My conure just laid an egg but she wonā€™t sit on it. Today is the second day . I did search about making home made incubator and I never came across a glass one. I have a new fish aquarium that comes with light and a heater can I use is as an incubator??
Iā€™m so excited for my birds. This is the first time for all of us, my children and I are new to this.

Doscar

Aug 18, 2021
Kentucky
Parrots
Oscar a 14-year-old blue gold macaw.
Coco a 22-year-old Congo African grey.
Oscar was a rescue I am his 3rd home and hopefully last.
Coco is from an older couple, I'm his 2nd home.
I used to raise ostriches and we incubated our own eggs and hatched around 300 chicks a year. Even just incubating one egg (assuming it's a fertile egg) is hard for a human, temperature, humidity, rotating, and weight loss are just a few very critical measurements for a healthy chick. If temperatures vary as little as 1-2 degrees for more than an hour it could have a severe effect on the chick. As for an aquarium as an incubator, personally I would not attempt it. If you are really serious about hatching some eggs, there are some really good small incubators out on the market that rotate and keep temps and humidity in check as long as they are set up correctly. I'm not an expert and I've never tried to hatch a parrot of any breed, but I do have a fair amount of experience with incubation. I've never raised a parrot chick from a hatchling either, but I understand it is a lot of work. Birds don't usually start to sit on the nest till they have a clutch of eggs.
Not trying to discourage you just trying to inform you hope this helps. Best of luck and congratulations on your egg.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 42416

Agree with Doscar. They may not sit on it until the entire clutch is laid. She may have 3 to 5 eggs, each laid 1 to 2 days apart. Do not remove them as it may stimulate her to keep laying until she has a full clutch. This can lead to egg binding and death. They use 10% of their calcium stores with each egg, so it is very important to supplement calcium (mineral block, bone meal added to food, etc).

Is their a male around? If not they wonā€™t be fertile, but she must be allowed to sit in them anyway. If they donā€™t hatch on time, she will lose interest and stop sitting on them (usually 3 to 4 weeks). Then you may remove one daily.

If they are fertile and do hatch, itā€™s important to be prepared to hand feed bird formula and have a brooder on hand in case the parents donā€™t know what to do (I was just in this situation with my sun conures!). Now, a brooder can be made easily. There are lots YouTube tutorials on this and hand feeding. Newly hatched chicks need to be sat on by mom right away but first feeding may not occur for 6 to 12 hours after hatch. It super important to watch during this time.

I candled each egg 4 days after each was laid and they were all fertile!

Hope this helps and good luck with this new adventure!!

OP
S

Semsem

Feb 14, 2022
I used to raise ostriches and we incubated our own eggs and hatched around 300 chicks a year. Even just incubating one egg (assuming it's a fertile egg) is hard for a human, temperature, humidity, rotating, and weight loss are just a few very critical measurements for a healthy chick. If temperatures vary as little as 1-2 degrees for more than an hour it could have a severe effect on the chick. As for an aquarium as an incubator, personally I would not attempt it. If you are really serious about hatching some eggs, there are some really good small incubators out on the market that rotate and keep temps and humidity in check as long as they are set up correctly. I'm not an expert and I've never tried to hatch a parrot of any breed, but I do have a fair amount of experience with incubation. I've never raised a parrot chick from a hatchling either, but I understand it is a lot of work. Birds don't usually start to sit on the nest till they have a clutch of eggs.
Not trying to discourage you just trying to inform you hope this helps. Best of luck and congratulations on your egg.
Thanks
Agree with Doscar. They may not sit on it until the entire clutch is laid. She may have 3 to 5 eggs, each laid 1 to 2 days apart. Do not remove them as it may stimulate her to keep laying until she has a full clutch. This can lead to egg binding and death. They use 10% of their calcium stores with each egg, so it is very important to supplement calcium (mineral block, bone meal added to food, etc).

Is their a male around? If not they wonā€™t be fertile, but she must be allowed to sit in them anyway. If they donā€™t hatch on time, she will lose interest and stop sitting on them (usually 3 to 4 weeks). Then you may remove one daily.

If they are fertile and do hatch, itā€™s important to be prepared to hand feed bird formula and have a brooder on hand in case the parents donā€™t know what to do (I was just in this situation with my sun conures!). Now, a brooder can be made easily. There are lots YouTube tutorials on this and hand feeding. Newly hatched chicks need to be sat on by mom right away but first feeding may not occur for 6 to 12 hours after hatch. It super important to watch during this time.

I candled each egg 4 days after each was laid and they were all fertile!

Hope this helps and good luck with this new adventure!!
I really appreciate all the replies
She just laid the third egg last night. it seems that sheā€™s closer to this egg than the other first two, Iā€™m assuming becaus I never touched this one . She laid the third one two and half days later not one day apart, Iā€™m wondering if this is normal.
The first egg I checked and itā€™s not fertilized I did a cellphone flash light.

D

Deleted member 42416

Thanks

I really appreciate all the replies
She just laid the third egg last night. it seems that sheā€™s closer to this egg than the other first two, Iā€™m assuming becaus I never touched this one . She laid the third one two and half days later not one day apart, Iā€™m wondering if this is normal.
The first egg I checked and itā€™s not fertilized I did a cellphone flash light.
Itā€™s normal for even 3 days apart. May be too early to candle the firstā€¦wait 4 to 7 days from when she starts incubating. If you see veins then itā€™s definitely fertile!

Most Reactions

Latest posts