Conure Nail Trim

PeachesPie

Jan 26, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I have a Green Cheek Conure. She's known as a fancy or pineapple conure.

We normally take her to the pet store we purchased her from for nail trims. We're in the middle of winter with cold temperatures and poor road conditions. It would be a two hour trip with her. Previously she has gotten car sick and I didn't want to stress her out. I decided our local vet would be a better option for her under these circumstances. I called and they told me they had done several small birds before.

Our vet was not properly equipped with small clippers for birds. Managed to carefully do her nails but she has long quicks and two nails got nicked. My concern right now is if there's anything I should be diligent about now that those quicks are exposed? Bleeding was stopped immediately. She has two cement perches.

For future trims, I will definitely be taking her to the pet store where I've never had an issue. Our sweet girl can see her friends there too.

We love our little girl and want to do everything we can to keep her healthy and safe.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Did the vet say she was ok? If yes, and you know you can trust your vet, she probably is but keep an eye on those nails just in case.

OP
P

PeachesPie

Jan 26, 2022
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Did the vet say she was ok? If yes, and you know you can trust your vet, she probably is but keep an eye on those nails just in case.
The vet didn't seem concerned and I will definitely be keeping a watchful eye on her.

She's our 1st bird, so lots of learning for our family.

Most Reactions

Latest posts