Conure nail trimming

Teespt79

Oct 18, 2021
Parrots
Conure
Hi. Could anyone recommend someone who would trim my conures claws please. Near Grantham Lincolnshire.
Struggling to find anyone near who could help
Many thanks
Tony

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Hi I am also in the UK but the other end of the country. I had the same problem and found an Avian vet near to me where I took him first time. He also gave Syd a health check and it set me back £65 that was 4 years ago. He told me he gave him a little gas to keep him calm. I didn't want him to have that each time so after that I enrolled my adult daughter. My hands are too small to hold Syd and trim at the same time but we looked on Youtube and learned how to do it. So - I hold Syd because I don't freak out when he nips or wriggles and she tackles the claws. She always cuts a very small amount to be sure not to hurt him and over time he wriggles less.

I now wrap him covering his head in a light coloured t-towel and find he settles better if he can't see and I have the right clippers and the Stearate powder in case. Up to now we have managed very well - fingers crossed! :) More to the point Syd seems quite happy about it once he accepts that it is claw cutting day! Take a look on youtube there are lots of vids showing how.

OP
T

Teespt79

Oct 18, 2021
Parrots
Conure
Hi I am also in the UK but the other end of the country. I had the same problem and found an Avian vet near to me where I took him first time. He also gave Syd a health check and it set me back £65 that was 4 years ago. He told me he gave him a little gas to keep him calm. I didn't want him to have that each time so after that I enrolled my adult daughter. My hands are too small to hold Syd and trim at the same time but we looked on Youtube and learned how to do it. So - I hold Syd because I don't freak out when he nips or wriggles and she tackles the claws. She always cuts a very small amount to be sure not to hurt him and over time he wriggles less.

I now wrap him covering his head in a light coloured t-towel and find he settles better if he can't see and I have the right clippers and the Stearate powder in case. Up to now we have managed very well - fingers crossed! :) More to the point Syd seems quite happy about it once he accepts that it is claw cutting day! Take a look on youtube there are lots of vids showing how.
Hi thanks for the reply.
I think I will try local vets I'm not too confident about doing it myself plus I don't want to be the Bad Guy lol

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
A lot to be said for letting someone else be "the bad guy." Many folks have worried about their bird being mad at them for taking them to the vet. Mine have always been fine with me, if not a little extra clingy afterward because I'm their savior from that evil human! :)

Last edited:

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Hi thanks for the reply.
I think I will try local vets I'm not too confident about doing it myself plus I don't want to be the Bad Guy lol
Try to make sure it's an avian vet.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi Teespt79, there is a link you can click on this page that will show a list of avian vets in the UK.

Hope this helps you, and welcome to the Forums! :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts