conure nose discharge or from toy?

Brooklyn12

Jan 16, 2021
Hi, so I've had my green cheek for almost a month now and he is doing wonderful with his which is great. Last night I heard my green cheek Yoshi sneezing, a little unusual for him since its the first time I've heard him do it around 5-6 times at night . I did check on him and saw he had stuff on his beak and nose. Ive seen this before and it has washed off when he goes to shower.
I believe it can possibly be from his kabob toy that he loves to play with. He is biting that thing and rubbing against it all day. Is it possible that it is from this toy or do you believe it is something else? I was with him this morning, he was his usual hyper self and was eating, he sneezed once when I was with him but he was scratching his nose. I have also removed the toy until I get a better idea of what this could be. Any help I'd certainly appreciate it.

The pics I've attached the first pic is from the first time I spotted the stuff on his beak (friday), the second was from last night when it was all clean, third and 4th were from this morning.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new GCC.
Yoshi is very beautiful!

But yes Yoshi has a health issue. You will need to find an avain veterinarian.
In the one picture he has proliferation of cere with that black spot. Not normal. Could be a " birth mark"
The other pics look beak erosion, or discharge. Not normal. Fungal, or bacterial, possibly viral........I guess fungal or cancer, but I am not a veterinarian.
Doesn't seem nutritional as feathers are in great condition.

Yiu will most definitely need a avian veterinarian.

Its a good idea to get a digital kitchen scale and start tracking weights. This will help in seeing how things are going once yiu get treatment.

Keep us posted!
Look at normal cere in this picture
https://images.app.goo.gl/xie9sEJpjbb9fKCX7

Last edited:

MelloYello

Jan 11, 2021
A galaxy far far away
Parrots
MelloYello-Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Can you send a picture of his toy?
I would be worried, especially with all the sneezing and discharge. Make sure he isn't near anywhere with drafts. Keep him warm and comfortable. make sure to contact your avian vet.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yoshi is very beautiful!

In the one picture he has proliferation of cere with that black spot. Not normal. Could be a " birth mark"
The other pics look beak erosion, or discharge. Not normal. Fungal, or bacterial, possibly viral........I guess fungal or cancer, but I am not a veterinarian.

Its a good idea to get a digital kitchen scale and start tracking weights. This will help in seeing how things are going once yiu get treatment.

Keep us posted!
Laurasea- do you see beak issues in the clean beak picture? I'm just curious because I see what you are talking about (I think) but unless that clean beak picture was taken from the other side of his beak, I don't see it in that one. I agree he needs to see a vet, but I'm trying to figure out if I am overlooking something that you are seeing in terms of the beak erosion etc.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I see that one-- but I don't see it here

25785d1612710479-conure-nose-discharge-toy-img_4560.jpg

OP
B

Brooklyn12

Jan 16, 2021
Yoshi is very beautiful!

Keep us posted!
Laurasea- do you see beak issues in the clean beak picture? I'm just curious because I see what you are talking about (I think) but unless that clean beak picture was taken from the other side of his beak, I don't see it in that one. I agree he needs to see a vet, but I'm trying to figure out if I am overlooking something that you are seeing in terms of the beak erosion etc.

Ive attached a photo of the clean beak, enhanced it a bit to you could see a big clearer.

Last edited:
OP
B

Brooklyn12

Jan 16, 2021
Can you send a picture of his toy?
I would be worried, especially with all the sneezing and discharge. Make sure he isn't near anywhere with drafts. Keep him warm and comfortable. make sure to contact your avian vet.

I attached the picture of the toy, this is what it is, he plays with this non stop. I only noticed the stuff on his beak after we put this in his cage. He has been fine other wise and I first noticed the stuff on his beak this friday, no previous time before that. Could it be irritating him? He hasn't been sneezing from what ive noticed at all today.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I wonder if he got some stuck in his nose/nares? Like I said, I'd still get him to the vet because sneezing and scratching + the discharge or whatever that is still needs to be addressed/double checked.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Can you take a picture of left side of face again?
In the first picture , tge birds left, look
So you see green cheeks have that white skin around their nostril. Yours the white comes down and there is that black mole like thing...
Its hard to see if tge cere us kinda extra on the beak....in one picture looks like beak shiny part is rubbed off, and you see the next layer under the beak....but it could be extra cere tissue expanded on the beak

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Can you take a picture of left side of face again?
In the first picture , tge birds left, look
So you see green cheeks have that white skin around their nostril. Yours the white comes down and there is that black mole like thing...
Its hard to see if tge cere us kinda extra on the beak....in one picture looks like beak shiny part is rubbed off, and you see the next layer under the beak....but it could be extra cere tissue expanded on the beak
You talking about this?

noodles123-albums-not-my-bird-post-picture23142-conure.jpg

OP
B

Brooklyn12

Jan 16, 2021
I wonder if he got some stuck in his nose/nares? Like I said, I'd still get him to the vet because sneezing and scratching + the discharge or whatever that is still needs to be addressed/double checked.

I believe that to be the case as well. I will continue to monitor him through out the day, he is currently running around climbing everything at the moment (this is his normal self lol). I am going to make a trip to the vet for sure, wanted to see if this was indeed discharge. Anything else I should look out for?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I mean, sneezing, scratching or attending to one particular area, changes to poop (e.g., size, color, liquid, changes to urates), lethargy, any new behaviors or changes in food preferences, tail bobbing, discharge, inflammation, audible breathing, wing-drop or open mouth breathing, consistently sleeping with both feet on the perch (rather than tucking one), straining to poop , spending more time on the cage floor but not playing, weight loss or sudden wight gain, vomiting, increasingly fluffed appearance etc are all signs of a sick bird, but your bird could only show 1 or 2 and still be very sick-- it just depends on what is going on.

By the time they show any symptoms, it is time to act, as they hide illness.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
In your picture above to dark fir me to see, take one again like the first one.
And just as added note. You do not have much time if a bird gives you any symptoms of being sick, like sneezing and discharge, to them being found dead. Its very important to act quickly with birds, to be able to save thrm. They hide being sick! They can run around and seem normal, they evolved this way. I judtvern5 through my whole flock being sick
Here is my gcc,
This is normal cere tissue around nostril. Then Yoshi, very abnormal

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
And just as added note. You do not have much time if a bird gives you any symptoms of being sick, like sneezing and discharge, to them being found dead. Its very important to act quickly with birds, to be able to save thrm. They hide being sick! They can run around and seem normal, they evolved this way. I judtvern5 through my whole flock being sick
Here is my gcc,

I saw that too and thought it looked very odd as well, but I don't see it in the clean beak picture, which I was a I was curious if you were seeing something in that one as well that I was missing.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The clean beak picture is crapy . I need a better picture to see

But i have kabobs , never cause that crust on beak.
98% sure sick bird, some kind of issue
Brooklyn, I hope you will attach a new pic of left side, bird left

Yiu can click your name in upper left, create an album add picture
Then go back click on picture, under picture 2 lines of text. Click and copy second line of text and past in New text box

Last edited:
OP
B

Brooklyn12

Jan 16, 2021
Here is my gcc,

This was taken just now, he went to bathe and you can see the left side of his beak.

Attachments

• IMG_4571.jpg
    IMG_4571.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 501
OP
B

Brooklyn12

Jan 16, 2021
Here is my gcc,

I saw that too and thought it looked very odd as well, but I don't see it in the clean beak picture, which I was a I was curious if you were seeing something in that one as well that I was missing.

This pic was taken like 15 mins ago, he went to bathe lol, here is a pic i could take while he was on me of the side of the beak.

Attachments

• IMG_4571.jpg
    IMG_4571.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 70

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Well things look better in this picture.. so confusing
Glad if was wasw discharge crust that washed offhe skin looks pink, from shower? That's were you can find sinus swelling.

I just can't see as well cuz of light
Can you take a face on one again. Sorry to ask..I just want to be sure what I am seeing, dry beak off first, the wet can hide what I'm trying to see..

But when you have symptoms, the only thing we can really recommend is a trip to the vet. Because burds really really hide being sick, very few birds give you the classic fluffed look, or any symptoms. A nasal crusty discharge and I.would at the vets on Monday.

I will check back later.

Edit..the shiny part if the beak, the top outer layer looks rubbed off , eroded, or the crusty throws me off..but anyway when wet its harder to see. If I keep looking at your new wet picture. I can still kinds see that its grey in that area??? Or the first was crusty discharge?
How long ago was that first picture of your set of pictures taken?

Oh and cute baby !!! Love wet birds

Last edited:
OP
B

Brooklyn12

Jan 16, 2021
Well things look better in this picture.. so confusing
The skin looks pink, from shower? That's were you can find sinus swelling.

I just can't see as well cuz of light
Can you take a face on one again. Sorry to ask..I just want to be sure what I am seeing, dry beak off first, the wet can hide what I'm trying to see..

But when you have symptoms, the only thing we can really recommend is a trip to the vet. Because burds really really hide being sick, very few birds give you the classic fluffed look, or any symptoms.

I will check back later.

Edit..the shiny part if the beak, the top outer later looks rubbed off , eroded, or the crusty throws me off..but anyway when wet its harder to see. If I keep looking at your new wet picture. I can still kinds see that its grey in that area???
How long ago was that first picture of your set of pictures taken?

That picture you were referring too those pics were taken from this past Friday (the 5th) to today, where you first saw something might be wrong I believed looked bad because of the stuff on his beak. Made it stand out more and look a little funny. . I posted it to show it being the first time I noticed it and he washed it off the next day. It came back however which is where the other pictures come into play. I do not believe anything is really wrong with this beak from being with him. Pictures can be deceiving in certain angles but I will do my best to take another one for you. The pinkness I'm not sure , could just be his color in that area since he's had that since i got him.
As we speak he is hanging upside down playing with his bell in his cage so I will continue to keep an eye on him.

I appreciate all of you who have responded, I am trying to get a vet appointment as we speak , my area doesn't have many vets who see birds besides the emergency animal hospitals but I will find one, once I do I will get him checked out.

Most Reactions