Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Hi all, I might need some ideas and help.

I have a 9 month old Venezuelan conure that I got exactly 3 weeks ago. He is bred in an aviary so it's natural that he wishes to be with other birds.

However, he is absolutely OBSESSED with my budgie. He will litteraly cry and squeak all day and evening if he doesn't get to be with her, but our budgie doesn't give a damn at all, she is bonded to me and my partner. She still rather gets our attention rather than Pascal's (the conure). In the evening he will just hang on my budgie's cage BEGGING her to be with him, but Csilli being a territorial little girl, she's having none of it. For past 2 hours she keeps nipping Pascal's feet (under my supervision) but Pascal simply doesn't understand that she just doesn't want to be with him, and he just keeps trying over and over, crying non stop. (By crying i mean the constant squeaking, he does it when he wants something.)

Do you think he will get the message eventually and stop trying to be with her? Or will this go on forever where he keeps trying to be with her and just getting bullied the hell out of him? My budgie learned before how to take a no from other birds (other species) but Pascal is extremely pushy and it saddens me that he is obsessed over a bird that doesn't even like him. :(

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It all takes time. He was a flock bird , and also burds instinctively want to flock for safety.

Yiu will earn his trust. Right now he feels friendless. It just takes time and adjust. Burds don't move fast. He is still greif or leaving friends. Even birds taken from terrible owners can have grief.

Just keep working on building trust.

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
It all takes time. He was a flock bird , and also burds instinctively want to flock for safety.

Yiu will earn his trust. Right now he feels friendless. It just takes time and adjust. Burds don't move fast. He is still greif or leaving friends. Even birds taken from terrible owners can have grief.

Just keep working on building trust.

I'm aware, but it still pains me to see him so obsessed each evening. Sadly I cannot keep them in separate rooms because of lack space and light in all other rooms. Usually he is very food driven, but one thing that is far more important than food for him is the sight of another bird.

I truly hope you're right and that he will get over his old flock soon and start earning our trust. (I do hold the title "the apple lady" but it kinda stops there.)

Most Reactions