Conure panic flying

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
Birdie hit the broomstick that was against the window a few weeks ago.
He was upset about something. I still don't know what.
He is much better after an expensive vet visit.
He now is back to talking and screaming and is able to fly again.
The problem is he panic flies.
Just madly flying around the room. Lands and goes again. I thought he may not do it any more and this is how his accident began before.
But he's back doing it again.
Is there a way to prevent this way of flying. He often only just makes the landing. Sometimes he slides right off the chair or cabinet.
Its not a big space and I have big windows. I used to put the blind up and he has a perch on the window. I've started to leave the blind down. Mainly I'm worried he'll hit the window. Last time I thought I'd lose him.
So is there a trick to curb birds panic flying ?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Maybe trim a few flight feathers to slow him down? Trim on both sides, just a few?

Since it seems like he’s in danger, I’d consider it.

OP
FiFee Fiona

FiFee Fiona

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
Maybe trim a few flight feathers to slow him down? Trim on both sides, just a few?

Since it seems like he’s in danger, I’d consider it.
I had thought about it. But he was miserable when he couldn't fly.
And then I might have to. It was really stressful when it happened. I can't believe after that he's still doing it.
But he doesn't give up...

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Learning to fly—safely, is a skill learned! Full of stress for us mere mortals! How many human toddlers end up in the ER every year! Ugg, sorry, no easy answers!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I had thought about it. But he was miserable when he couldn't fly.
And then I might have to. It was really stressful when it happened. I can't believe after that he's still doing it.
But he doesn't give up...
I just meant clipping maybe two on each side to see if it slows him down a little?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Learning to fly—safely, is a skill learned! Full of stress for us mere mortals! How many human toddlers end up in the ER every year! Ugg, sorry, no easy answers!
Hmm. Makes me think of my little brother, his Superman underoos, and his towel cape. Little kids are suggestible. At least I kept him from jumping down the stairs.

Most Reactions