Conure Plucking his Feathers, why?

Nicole Thiart

Oct 23, 2021
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Pinapple conure
Can anybody please help me out, my green cheek conure is plucking his wing feathers and it is only his wing feathers.
Does anyone maybe know why?
Do I need to get him something that will help?

Attachments

• SquareFit_20211023_170730.jpg
    SquareFit_20211023_170730.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 91
  • SquareFit_20211023_170752.jpg
    SquareFit_20211023_170752.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 85

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Birds will pluck because of stress, illness, change in environment, or boredom, among many other reasons. I advise you to take him to a vet, just to make sure he is healthy. If he is, find the cause of the plucking. If he is on a seed diet, try to change it. If he is bored, give him more to do. Always keep a feather plucker occupied. If he has a fun toy or is learning a new trick, he will be distracted from plucking.
He could have some kind of infection in his wing, causing the skin to itch and making him pluck.
You need to find out why he plucks, and then find a way to stop the behavior.

OP
Nicole Thiart

Nicole Thiart

Oct 23, 2021
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Pinapple conure
Birds will pluck because of stress, illness, change in environment, or boredom, among many other reasons. I advise you to take him to a vet, just to make sure he is healthy. If he is, find the cause of the plucking. If he is on a seed diet, try to change it. If he is bored, give him more to do. Always keep a feather plucker occupied. If he has a fun toy or is learning a new trick, he will be distracted from plucking.
He could have some kind of infection in his wing, causing the skin to itch and making him pluck.
You need to find out why he plucks, and then find a way to stop the behavior.
If he has an infection, how do I treat is, should I only take him to a vet for antibiotics?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
If he has an infection, how do I treat is, should I only take him to a vet for antibiotics?
Yes, a vet can diagnose him and tell you about medication and whatever else you need to know.

Most Reactions