Conure questions

TeeRex5

Feb 5, 2023
Parrots
Frank-Green Cheek Conure
I am new to the bird forum. I have a 1.5 year old male GCC. I have had him since he was 2 months old. He was born and raised in a bird/pet store. When I got him, he had no tail feathers as he was bullied by other birds and they pulled them out. Frank is a very picky bird. He does not like to step up. He does not like to cuddle. He does not like new toys. He likes his old ones. He only likes certain foods and will not try the many expensive pellets I have tried. He loves to play with his cat balls…..on the floor. He has about 15 going at one time and will spend all day squeaking and rolling them around. His wings were clipped when I first got him but I am letting his flight feathers come in. My question is sometime Frank likes to sleep on the floor 2-3 days a week. He will sleep in the dark behind the hamper or under the armoire. I have no other pets. Sometimes he sleeps in his covered cage. I use headphones at night so there is no sound and the room is dark. How big of a problem is this?

1CB488D5-E992-4890-A436-1D3D7144F18B.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Personally I wouldn’t allow it because there is a high chance you could accidentally step on him or move something on top of him while he’s sleeping. If you have not other pets it’s definitely less risk but just be careful. I think it’s a personal choice for you as to if you are willing to accept that risk or not.

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
I am new to the bird forum. I have a 1.5 year old male GCC. I have had him since he was 2 months old. He was born and raised in a bird/pet store. When I got him, he had no tail feathers as he was bullied by other birds and they pulled them out. Frank is a very picky bird. He does not like to step up. He does not like to cuddle. He does not like new toys. He likes his old ones. He only likes certain foods and will not try the many expensive pellets I have tried. He loves to play with his cat balls…..on the floor. He has about 15 going at one time and will spend all day squeaking and rolling them around. His wings were clipped when I first got him but I am letting his flight feathers come in. My question is sometime Frank likes to sleep on the floor 2-3 days a week. He will sleep in the dark behind the hamper or under the armoire. I have no other pets. Sometimes he sleeps in his covered cage. I use headphones at night so there is no sound and the room is dark. How big of a problem is this?

View attachment 47407
I wouldn't, there is a ton that could go wrong. As @onamom mentioned there is the possibility of stepping on him or getting into a situation where he gets stuck. The cage is a much safer place and having a safe place can actually help with Frank's anxiety.

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Frank sounds awesome and I agree with the above as to the safety concerns.
Frank's demeaner and handwriting somehow reminds me of a certain Rickybird that I know.

Even though Frank is somewhat standoffish I bet you have a really trusting bond.
Would be good to now build on that. Getting him to step up and "be all up on you", as they say.
Especially knowing that he likes toys and can play by himself, it will just open up his world a bit more.

I'd like to see photos or videos of him playing with his fifteen balls.
I saw a little conure in a pet store the other day and it was so playful I said, "wow you are so playful and you have a really long tail" ...and then I ran away cause he was just too cute.

OP
TeeRex5

TeeRex5

Feb 5, 2023
Parrots
Frank-Green Cheek Conure
Frank sounds awesome and I agree with the above as to the safety concerns.
Frank's demeaner and handwriting somehow reminds me of a certain Rickybird that I know.

Even though Frank is somewhat standoffish I bet you have a really trusting bond.
Would be good to now build on that. Getting him to step up and "be all up on you", as they say.
Especially knowing that he likes toys and can play by himself, it will just open up his world a bit more.

I'd like to see photos or videos of him playing with his fifteen balls.
I saw a little conure in a pet store the other day and it was so playful I said, "wow you are so playful and you have a really long tail" ...and then I ran away cause he was just too cute.
I agree about the safety concerns but I don’t know how to get him in his cage at night. If I say it’s bedtime he hops out really quick and flies to the floor. Trust me he knows exactly what he is doing. He likes to think he is the boss. We do have a great bond he just doesn’t like to be held. As far as stepping on him, I don’t think that is an issue. Everyone always knows to look down when they come in the room. Besides, Frank likes people to play with the balls with him. If you roll it to him he will roll it back. He is too funny. Here is a picture of Frank with his balls. I think there were close to 20 in this picture. He hides them. My room looks like a ball pit. Lol

Attachments

• 407C3B16-47A8-4960-9214-1726EC5F398E.jpeg
    407C3B16-47A8-4960-9214-1726EC5F398E.jpeg
    274.2 KB · Views: 47

Most Reactions