Conure seems to be afraid

Georgejones

Jul 17, 2022
Parrots
4 year old Pineapple Conure and 10 Budgies
About 7 weeks again I put metalic silver nail polish on my nails and when I went to the cage to get George to step up he scurried away from me and started shaking. He is a hand fed raised bird, very social likes to be on my shoulder all the time. I management grab him and bring him upstairs to his cage that is in my bedroom. The next day I left 2 days on a trip. On my return I tried to get him to step up and he just acted terrified. I then realized he may be afraid of my metalic silver nail polish, so I removed the polish. He continues to run from me and acts very afraid and has been quiet, this past week he has been calling out to me, when I approach he turns his back and shakes. George is 4 years old and I have had him since he was 6 months old. I have grabbed him a few times and he seems fine once we are down stairs sits on my shoulder sits on my head but still nervous. How can I help him to gain his trust

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think you may have scared him or hurt his feelings. He may associate the metallic polish with you acting funny and then leaving him. Who knows? But he sounds like he was really scared and upset and now perhaps he’s recalling that whenever you come near. (People do this. Why can’t parrots?). You need to make friends with him and gain his trust again.

My birds think most changes (glasses, face mask, different hairstyle) are confusing and seem to wonder if I’m the same person.

My Quaker gets protective of his cage after calling me over to get him out. I used to pick him up with a towel and I think it was ruining his trust in me. We’re now working on stepping up onto a stick (from his cage) and then getting a treat. Quaker is being more outgoing and talkative now and I think it’s because he’s not upset that I’ve manhandled him.

Most Reactions