Conure sneezing frequently when or after stretching

deadprezz169

Jun 8, 2021
So I recently got a little turquoise conure and I?ve noticed it does a lot of snorting while stretching. I have another pineapple conure who?s never done that. Should I have my birds both checked out or is this something normal with younger birds. I don?t hear it when she?s in her cage but mostly when she?s out with me stretching her legs.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Is the stretching always legs or do you see the neck moving as well? Parrots often adjust their crops by moving the head in unusual manner. I have seen some parrots literally stretch legs and wings much as humans do.

Can you upload video? Best format is YouTube or Vimeo links.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

I don't notice anything very unusual. A crisp sound near the end, is that a sneeze?

OP
D

deadprezz169

Jun 8, 2021
Yes that?s the noise she makes I?m not sure if it?s her try clear her nose it?s not a sneeze just very odd I?ve never heard it before

Justrosie

Nov 28, 2018
Since she is new, I would advise having her checked by the vet. Birds can often "clean out" their nares by sneezing, although I see my cockatoo do it a lot more often than my Pineapple conure, as he is a much dustier bird.

There are quite a few diseases/parasites that can cause sneezing, and while this may be typical behavior for your new bird, I would still recommend a vet check since you have another bird in the house, and if there is disease present, regardless of symptoms, it could be spread. This could definitely be normal for this new bird, but it is better to be safe than sorry! Try to get good video evidence of her doing it to show the vet, in case she doesn't do it while at the clinic. (I watched the short clip you posted, I would recommend getting more/longer clips as it is hard to see what you are describing)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Very clear audio! Sounds like a subtle sneeze or perhaps a vocalization. Unfortunately his beak is just outside camera range when it occurs so cannot see if any movement.

Most Reactions

Latest posts