Conure Tail Feather Loss

Jacob1302

Jan 11, 2022
Parrots
Pearly Conure
My Pearly Conure (8 months) Jumped off the side of his cage today, and started to flap his wings trying to fly (When I got him from the pet store his wings were already clipped) hes done this a couple times before and he usually just slowly falls to the ground, steps up on my finger and just goes back to either his perch or the top of his cage, but when he landed today one of his tail feathers fell out, he then proceeded to pick it up and started to chew on the stem. Should I be worried about his feather falling out? is it a sign of stress? and should I be worried about him jumping off of stuff? Do I need to take him to a vet and get him checked out? or is this normal?

And heres a picture of him from a few weeks ago just to make your viewing worth it

Attachments

• IMG_1552.JPG
    IMG_1552.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 81

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
My Pearly Conure (8 months) Jumped off the side of his cage today, and started to flap his wings trying to fly (When I got him from the pet store his wings were already clipped) hes done this a couple times before and he usually just slowly falls to the ground, steps up on my finger and just goes back to either his perch or the top of his cage, but when he landed today one of his tail feathers fell out, he then proceeded to pick it up and started to chew on the stem. Should I be worried about his feather falling out? is it a sign of stress? and should I be worried about him jumping off of stuff? Do I need to take him to a vet and get him checked out? or is this normal?

And heres a picture of him from a few weeks ago just to make your viewing worth it
The feather was probably ready to fall out so I wouldn't be concerned. If he's slowly falling to the ground that means his flight feathers are still long enough to stop him from falling like a rock. If you notice he's bobbing his head up and down and leaning toward something he probably wants to go there.

OP
Jacob1302

Jacob1302

Jan 11, 2022
Parrots
Pearly Conure
The feather was probably ready to fall out so I wouldn't be concerned. If he's slowly falling to the ground that means his flight feathers are still long enough to stop him from falling like a rock. If you notice he's bobbing his head up and down and leaning toward something he probably wants to go there.
Okay Great, Thank you so much, I was really worried

Most Reactions

Latest posts