Conure with a bad attitude please help!!

DollyTheConure

Mar 8, 2022
Parrots
Conure
So my conure keeps trying to hump one of my dogs and brutally attacking the other. What can i do 😭😭

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
I think the best thing you can do is to keep the bird away from the dogs. Only for your bird and dogs safety. It will be a dogs natural instinct to stack or hurt the bird. You just never know.
yup i definitely agree with theo

OP
D

DollyTheConure

Mar 8, 2022
Parrots
Conure
I think the best thing you can do is to keep the bird away from the dogs. Only for your bird and dogs safety. It will be a dogs natural instinct to attack or hurt the bird. You just never know.
Thats kind of impossible to do 24/7. I live in a one bedroom. The problem is less that the dog is going to snap at the bird because hes 10 with zero teeth and doesnt weigh enough to break a leaf. He also doesnt have a fighting bone in his body. And more than the bird is hurting my dog continuously and i dont know how to discipline the behavior because every time i put him in his cage after it happens he seems to resent the dog more.

I need real help that involves a discipli

OP
D

DollyTheConure

Mar 8, 2022
Parrots
Conure
Thats kind of impossible to do 24/7. I live in a one bedroom. The problem is less that the dog is going to snap at the bird because hes 10 with zero teeth and doesnt weigh enough to break a leaf. He also doesnt have a fighting bone in his body. And more than the bird is hurting my dog continuously and i dont know how to discipline the behavior because every time i put him in his cage after it happens he seems to resent the dog more.

*that involves some sort of disciplinary action that doesnt make him hate the dog more then he already does

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021

I’m not to sure. Maybe someone else can help with it. Sorry I’m no help!
*that involves some sort of disciplinary action that doesnt make him hate the dog more then he already does

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I don't know that figuring out a disciplinary consequence would by itself solve the problem.

Hopefully you'll get some advice from others that have experience with this sort of thing (I don't).

In the meantime, you might need to get more creative and invent a way to keep your dogs and bird separated for the times you're working one-on-one with your bird. In my house in the past, this has meant using things like sheets stapled in doorways, or boxes stacked so the dog couldn't get by or see what I was doing, or crate training my dog so that he'd be in another room resting while I was working with the other pet solo.

I'm on my phone and don't have my notebook handy with all the great behavior links I've read on this forum, but I do suspect it would be more successful to prevent the circumstances where your conure has a reason to attack, and then work on other behaviors you do want (trick training, etc), rather than trying to fix only the consequence side of things.

Most Reactions

Latest posts