Conures breeding

Rod

Sep 4, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure male pineapple female
Hi I have a green cheek conure male pineapple female they are about a year old they have 2 clutches of eggs 1st clutch is when I bought them because of bringing them home she didn't sit on the eggs now she has been sitting on the 2nd clutch and I have had a look none look fertile any suggestions thanks rod

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, and welcome. Are you trying to breed them? or is this just an accident? I was informed on here as long as you remove the egg within 24 hours of it being laid no harm is done. I am intentionally trying to not breed my conures though. I don't need to add more additions to my flock. I believe @PippTheBananaBirb said you can add an artificial egg to prevent more egg laying after the laid egg (the real one) is removed.

If you are looking to intentionally breed your conures hopefully someone with more experience with this will comment below. With your conures only being a year old maybe they are too young?

OP
R

Rod

Sep 4, 2022
Parrots
I'm trying to breed them it what I was thinking maybe there to young there is 5 eggs in the box now for 22days so leaving them for a few more days but thanks for the quick reply

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thanks for the tag @kme3388!

I don't know much about breeding conures, so I'm not able to help with that. Conures reach sexual maturity at about 1-3 years.

You can check for fertility by using a light. You can use your phone, turn on flashlight, and put an egg on it. If you see veins, it is alive and I wouldn't feel comfortable killing it, but if there are no veins, it's fine.

This guide is meant for ducks, but it will still help you determine whether it's fertile or not.
1662365000863.png

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I'm trying to breed them it what I was thinking maybe there to young there is 5 eggs in the box now for 22days so leaving them for a few more days but thanks for the quick reply
A year may be too young for some conures. But, there are some that are capable of being a good bird parent at that age. Unfortunately most birds aren't able to properly raise a chick st that age.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
This thread may be useful if you end up having to raise them yourself:

OP
R

Rod

Sep 4, 2022
Parrots
Just to update 1 egg hatched out today so fingers crossed maybe some more will rod

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
They are so tiny! I’m hoping to breed my sun conures. They are red factor.

Most Reactions