Converting to pellets

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Hi folks,

Once again I’m having a problem with diet. Oh boy… So, Nico likes his seeds. A lot.
I’ve been told by my vet to wean him onto pellets by restricting the seed heavily and offering pellets, then supplementing with high calorie formula twice a day to ensure he’s getting what he needs.

The problem is, he literally is ignoring his pellets, nutriberries, veggies, etc. He’ll just starve all day instead. He’ll take a couple wimpy little nibbles if I offer them, but immediately shys away after. I’m really unsure what to do. The pellets were mixed in with the seed, but I stopped that and just tried to offer only pellets and small amounts of seed now and then because I was throwing a lot of pellet out to refresh the seed.

Please. Any suggestions are welcome! I don’t know what to do at this point 🥲

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have had several well-meaning Vets recommend such transitions. The real DANGER is that Parrots can starve quickly if they are not ready to transition. I am not a big believer in all Pellet diets and tend to provide a Well Balanced diet built around Fresh Foods and Veggies, High Quality Seed and Pellets. Because I have an Amazon, zero Sun Flower Seeds and Zero Peanuts.

Near everyone has a method of transition Pellets into a Parrots diet. My variation is to grind the pellets into tiny bits just above dust or a bit larger and sprinkle it into the mix. Your Parrot will by accident find it and begin eating it. Assure that you have a good pellet that is not filled with color, or sugar.

Best of luck and Cheers

Last edited:
OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
I have had several well-meaning Vets recommend such transitions. The real DANGER is that Parrots can starve quickly if they are not ready to transition. I am not a big believer in all Pellet diets and tend told a Well Balanced diet built around Fresh Foods and Veggies, High Quality Seed and Pellets. Because I have an Amazon, zero Sun Flower Seeds and Zero Peanuts.

Near everyone has a method of transition Pellets into a Parrots diet. My variation is to grind the pellets into tiny bits just above dust or a bit larger and sprinkle it into the mix. Your Parrot will by accident find it and begin eating it. Assure that you have a good pellet that is not filled with color, or sugar.

Best of luck and Cheers
I’m not a massive fan of this idea either, but my vet has 35+ years of experience and has never done me wrong yet. So I’m trying. That’s why she gave me the high calorie formula as well- and I’m monitoring his weight daily.

My goal is to move to fresh fruits, veggies, and pellets, with some seeds as treats! But I feel it’s most important to get him off pure seed right now.

I purchased some Roudybush crumble in the hopes it was small enough like you said, which he’s tried some of but he keeps simply eating around it… he knows it’s good but is ignoring it? I’ll be putting him on Lafeber pellets.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Okay, but understand that starvation is a serious problem that just skipping above that line can be very dangerous as behavior problems can occur!! Remember that some Parrots are very slow at changing. As you may know, we work very older Amazons and will feed near anything to a parrot that is refusing to eat!!

Vets do not always get it perfect as they sometimes work with statics!

Your Parrot, your choice!!

OP
Vilatus

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Okay, but understand that starvation is a serious problem that just skipping above that line can be very dangerous as behavior problems can occur!! Remember that some Parrots are very slow at changing. As you may know, we work very older Amazons and will feed near anything to a parrot that is refusing to eat!!

Vets do not always get it perfect as they sometimes work with statics!

Your Parrot, your choice!!
I understand!! I promise I’m not letting him starve, I am relenting somewhat and allowing seed outside the cage, just not for 24/7 access…

I’m also trying that, literally just throwing everything I can at him. Right now he’s in his cage with a bowl of lettuce, green pepper, cucumber, nutriberries, egg food treat, millet, and pellets lol.

I didn’t realize you worked with multiple birds, I thought you just had your one baby! Do you have any idea of an average time period it takes for them to switch, in your experience?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi, my willow had been eating seed for eight years. I tried three or four different pellets and he wouldn’t eat them. I thought it was due to his fear of new things. Finally I bought high potency Harrisons fine pellets. He started to try them on the weekend that I ran out of big pellets for the Meyers parrot and supplemented those with the Harrison’s. Then Willow ate the Harrison’s high potency fine (after Jasper the Meyers parrot ate some).

Now I want to transfer Willow to regular Harrison’s adult pellets. Hopefully I can mix them together slowly and change him over.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I understand!! I promise I’m not letting him starve, I am relenting somewhat and allowing seed outside the cage, just not for 24/7 access…

I’m also trying that, literally just throwing everything I can at him. Right now he’s in his cage with a bowl of lettuce, green pepper, cucumber, nutriberries, egg food treat, millet, and pellets lol.

I didn’t realize you worked with multiple birds, I thought you just had your one baby! Do you have any idea of an average time period it takes for them to switch, in your experience?
We work with that very specific group of older, commonly very ill Amazons. The combination of age and their medical needs, sadly results in their loss. Our goal have been to assure that they are fully loved and well cared for in their latter years. So, yes, one at a time with Julio currently owning our World.

Our average had tended to be around 14 months with the longest being near 24 months with a Yellow-Nape Amazon that came to us on a very cheap Corn and Sunflower diet, which is deadly for Amazons. With her, we first started with a high-quality seed mix with a wide spectrum of seeds, grains, nuts and crushed Harrisons sprinkled in. We started with a quality sunflower seed added and as she began transiting on to the enhancing range of seeds at around 6 months, we began adding fresh foods and Veggies and reduced the sunflower seed as she continued to transition.

Please remember, that when most people talk about a Seed Diet, they are talking about 'very cheap' wild bird mix, heavy in low quality corn and sunflower seed. Our worst case starting point was a poor Nominate Blue Front Amazon who's diet was Pizza and Doritos.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Something that often works well to introduce pellets to parrots unused to eating them is to soften them by soaking the pellets for a short time in water or unsweetened fruit juice. My two parrots eat dry pellets, but they still enjoy a few softened ones every day. I put a few pellets in a small glass (a shot glass works well) and let them sit for a few minutes until they soften. The softened pellets can be offered from a small spoon or put in the parrot's food or treat cups. Any uneaten ones should be discarded after a while to prevent bacterial growth. Many parrots who haven't been eating pellets will accept the softened ones more quickly than dry pellets.

A varied diet, as has been said, is definitely a good thing. My parrots get a small serving of a good seed mix every day. I like Higgins California Blend, which contains neither sunflower seeds nor peanuts. It does include some nuts, dried fruits and vegetables, and a few Higgins pellets too.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Something that often works well to introduce pellets to parrots unused to eating them is to soften them by soaking the pellets for a short time in water or unsweetened fruit juice. My two parrots eat dry pellets, but they still enjoy a few softened ones every day. I put a few pellets in a small glass (a shot glass works well) and let them sit for a few minutes until they soften. The softened pellets can be offered from a small spoon or put in the parrot's food or treat cups. Any uneaten ones should be discarded after a while to prevent bacterial growth. Many parrots who haven't been eating pellets will accept the softened ones more quickly than dry pellets.

A varied diet, as has been said, is definitely a good thing. My parrots get a small serving of a good seed mix every day. I like Higgins California Blend, which contains neither sunflower seeds nor peanuts. It does include some nuts, dried fruits and vegetables, and a few Higgins pellets too.
Cute Quaker, Cny guy!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Another idea to get Nico to try pellets is if you try some and tell him how wonderful they are. Unless you have food allergies or religious restrictions, it’s not going to hurt you. Peer pressure can be a good thing!

I have sprinkled new pellets on top of or into treat foods like spaghetti with marinara sauce or yogurt. One thing you are working against is the birds natural fear of new food items. Nico needs to get used to seeing these pellets; then he needs to try them and decide he likes them. If you (pretend or actually) snack on some pellets and begrudgingly share some with him, maybe he will think he’s really lucky.

Oopsadaysey

Mar 11, 2022
East Gippsland Australia
Parrots
21yr old LutinoxPearl Quarrion (sorry cockatiel) Munchkin aka The Princess
My Princess is quite elderly. We had an avian vet who also ran a feathered child minding centre at his practice (heaven sent). He did NOT recommend a pellet diet - he was in favour of looking what a bird eats in the wild - in a tiel case - seeds and greens, barks and even fungus. He was spot on - she is healthy, loves her mixed diet ( I do wish she'd eat more greens) but does like mixed Veg, mushrooms and would leave home for corn.
I actually tried to convert her at one point, when we lived in far NQld but she was stubborn, still is, just didn't like them. Kept stealing food off our plates.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
we all try and have different ways work, and each parrot can be different in how they respond.

We all talk and are interested in diet and getting it right. Definitely all seed diet isn't healthy. So great job on starting the journey! Great job in watching weight.

You will get there! Keep offering lots of different foods even if they are rejected for a long time.

All of my quakers, my budgies, and my green cheek eat a wide variety of vegetables, greens, pellets, seed mix, pretty much anything.

My journey was a little different. I've started calling it abundance conversion/weaning for adult birds. Food is security-related even for adults in my opinion. Much like weaning baby birds. So I let them keep what they had bern eating, and kept introducing more. I find they really explore new foods better out of the cage. This was made easier by my flat top cages, I laid acrylic across the tops . Then I can set out shallow glass dishes filled with my selections. Use burd skewers to hang veggies at beak heights, or stick veggies in things like sea grass mats..I attached a lot of bowls to the outside and filled them with pellets. I hand them different foods all the time as well. I start off by handing seeds, when they got used to that , I randomly hand them a pellet, or veggies. At first they would take and throw. I tried to hand highly tempting stuff first, just tiny piece of apple, a pinch of bread, a dab of peanut butter, a single piece of corn, or a pea. Just getting them used to the idea foods can come in different shapes and textures. I ate stuff in front of them and handed to them. I used to set up my breakfast bar with a buffet of stuff for us all to share and try . Id make scrambled eggs mixed with lots of veggies and share, roasted veggies and share, oatmeal with berries abd share, quinoa cooked snd mixed with diced veggies and share. And I'd dud tge same with pellets, I'd mix them in with eggs and veggies cook and share, put them in the oatmeal, I even ate a few pellets and shared. I bought the soak and simmer parrot mixes and serve, made birdie bread, made some chop.

Once they started tasting and trying more things the better they get. And they are so used go me handing them stuff they now eat whatever I hand them including pellets .

Then seed mix , (as well as separate bowls if pellets ) was only available in cage for afternoon snd evening eating. As mine are out all day they are just eating pellets abd veggies all day now. Truly the veggies offered in the morning are rushed at its their highlighted meal. They love to explore and see what and how its offered. Ofcourse I created monsters who want everything I'm going to eat, you've probably seen my pictures of that.

Anyway have fun! Wishing you lots of success with a healthy variety!

Oh and because parrots are so great st reading us! Your mindset counts! I'm like wait till get a load of this zucchini , or wow have you tried cooked carrots? I expect them to like and eat it ! I'm not putting out worry or stress or thinking they are going to be picky. I'm thinking you are going to love all this stuff.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Well, I'm late to the party, but... may I add my usual blurb in hopes it might add a little something?

I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables! My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products.
Another couple of ideas...
My ol' man is an athlete and health nut. He actually EATS all the good stuff, so it's always around. I find that tossing various stuff into the food bowls at random is good... the variations and differences seem to stimulate curiosity and attention.
The other idea... if you can stand it (lol) EAT the stuff in front of the birds, yes. That encourages them. I have also found that if my ol' man eats stuff in front of the bird, the bird WANTS it for himself. Kinda a rivalry thing!

Most Reactions

Latest posts