cool duck story (a tradition started many years ago by a mother duck and a teacher)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
https://www.kcci.com/article/mother-duck-leads-ducklings-through-school/36373133 <---video here (watch all before you judge, as I almost did)

I don't live in this area, but I saw this and thought it was really cool that the people are respectful and try not to disturb them. I hope my daily visiting ducks (also mallards) don't nest in my yard though (because I think the water is farther away!!!)
I love that the kids are so respectful-- it makes me nervous (because you never know..but I will say, Noodles has been well-respected even among some of my most "intense" students-- unless you have a kid who likes harming animals, the majority of kids seem to just get it) so long as the expectations are CRYSTAL CLEAR) :)

To be clear
(because I was nervous watching this initially) this was not started for the kids (thank goodness)-- it was an accident. The first duck mom plopped her eggs in the closed/walled courtyard of the elementary school 2 decades ago and then, the flightless babies couldn't get out (so people found a solution). Due to the nature of ducks, the new mothers kept nesting in the same spot when they grew up...Heck, could even be the same mother multiple years in a row..

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Neptune blue quaker (MIA), Ta-dah GCC female, Penny quaker female, Pikachu quaker female!!, Phoebe quaker female, 3 parakeets males, Burt The Burd GCC female RIP
Thats a smart momma. Having her babies in a walled in fortress all safe from predators till they are ready to swim.

AmyMyBlueFront

Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
OMG I laughed so hard when they went QUACK QUACK QUACK down the hall to the other door! Thanks for putting a huge :D on my face today!

Jim

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
OMG I laughed so hard when they went QUACK QUACK QUACK down the hall to the other door! Thanks for putting a huge :D on my face today!

Jim

LOL! GLAD YOU GOT A KICK OUT OF IT TOO! That was my favorite part as well ha

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Architecture of about 40 years ago, began incorporating such 'areas' into a fairly wide cross-section of building in a attempt to provide a great number of renters, visitors and employees windows with a view. Duck's nesting in such places and completing such a walk occurs.

It is fairly common for ducks to make this kind of selection as a means of being away from ponds, lakes, etc. (as stated above) where predators are far more common.

Thank's for the Video as it clearly added to a morning smile.

Most Reactions

Latest posts