Corner obsessed bird

GloomySamurai

May 13, 2023
Parrots
Tango GCC
Samba GCC
Alaska IRN
Recently got a baby albino ringneck literally like a couple days ago. She’s doing well but there’s this shelf she was trying super hard to get into so we cleared it out for her and put some old tshirts to make it a bit more comfy. But whenever she’s in there she literally just like walks beak first into the corner with an iron will. She does it when our hands aren’t near as well so I don’t think she’s just running + sometimes she sits still but not normally. We’re not sure if it’s her eyesight or what. She also seems just weirdly obsessed with any corner, flying intentionally into corners & we always have to help her up. It just looks kind of sad & I want her to be okay.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Recently got a baby albino ringneck literally like a couple days ago. She’s doing well but there’s this shelf she was trying super hard to get into so we cleared it out for her and put some old tshirts to make it a bit more comfy. But whenever she’s in there she literally just like walks beak first into the corner with an iron will. She does it when our hands aren’t near as well so I don’t think she’s just running + sometimes she sits still but not normally. We’re not sure if it’s her eyesight or what. She also seems just weirdly obsessed with any corner, flying intentionally into corners & we always have to help her up. It just looks kind of sad & I want her to be okay.
I would strongly suggest not letting her in the corner of the shelf. Adding those shirts made it a comfy nest.
I would fill/cover the shelf so she can’t get into it.
This may be an innocent behavior now but it will turn into hormonal nesting when she reaches sexual maturity.
How old is she now?

Also, congratulations on your new bird! What’s her name? 😊

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Me, I would not be letting a brand new parrot have free reign of the house just yet. Time for settling in and being comfortable in her new surroundings.

Once she settles in, do the "Tour Guide" method to show her the new digs. Safely take her into all the rooms of the house, doors open and show her the room layout. Show her the 'flight path" into each room and from each to each, so she has a better idea of where to fly. SHow her all windows and mirrors - one of our esteemed members here shows windows and mirrors by bringing the parrot right next to them and tapping with her fingernail to show him it is really something there. SHe trained her parrot to tap on them too, with his beak so he knows its solid. I would do this kind of teaching a few times a day for awhile - this is absolutely critical for flighted parrots within a home. Crashing into windows and mirrors is one of the most often cited accidents with parrots and most of them don't end well.

Everybody's suggestion about removing access to dark corners and hidey holes is spot on. Every parrot is an individual and some are not as attracted to these and some - its like moths to a flame, they have no control over it. Best to err on the side of caution.

Most Reactions