so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I think most of the people here were children at some point:ROFLMAO:.
And a lot of you must remember counting cars on long trips.
Cuz I have been making so many trips this year up/down the state of California I have been having my own version of counting cars.

I count Teslas. They are unique enough to stand out and few enough in numbers to keep the numbers straight.
I have to say so far the average is about 6 in my 750 mile drive.
But I have a quandary.
Do I still count the cars not moving under there own power.
On my way up I saw one on a flatbed tow truck
On my way down saw one on side of freeway with hazard lights blinking.
If the car was charging I would definitely count it but if it’s broken down I don’t think it should count.

As a separate note.
Does anyone know why someone would burn up an orchard.
I read somewhere that at some point fruit trees stop baring fruit so perhaps this orchard was no longer productive.

659F0040-6D39-4CED-BF29-D2C00350234B.jpeg

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
When I was little we would count Volkswagens when we were traveling. They were a lot more common than Teslas are now so our counts ran pretty high, until my brother and I got bored with that and switched to counting out of state license plates. :) There is a Tesla in the parking lot behind my apartment building but I guess it would be cheating for you to add it to your count. :D

I'm not sure about the burning orchard. It might be an infestation of some kind that couldn't be controlled in any other way, or it might just be a way of clearing away an unproductive orchard as you suggested.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The games one plays while travel are based on the rules one use in your car. We count Red Tail Hawks as it allows our Amazon, Julio to join in. With the Hawks, we count all of them, whether they are taking a nap, actively hunting or moving from one area to another area.

Burning an orchard (as stated above) is for killing-off an infestation quickly. Normally, old trees are pulled out using a bulldozer and burned in piles at the end of the season. For up to five seasons afterwards, different crops are rotated in those fields to strengthen the soil before planning a new Orchard.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The games one plays while travel are based on the rules one use in your car. We count Red Tail Hawks as it allows our Amazon, Julio to join in. With the Hawks, we count all of them, whether they are taking a nap, actively hunting or moving from one area to another area.

Burning an orchard (as stated above) is for killing-off an infestation quickly. Normally, old trees are pulled out using a bulldozer and burned in piles at the end of the season. For up to five seasons afterwards, different crops are rotated in those fields to strengthen the soil before planning a new Orchard.
I like that idea of counting red tailed hawks.
See a lot of them soaring in thermals.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Sounds like playing SlugBug. My sister used to punch me hard in the leg every time she saw a VW bug. Not the best game, imo.

How does Julio count red tailed hawks? Does he scream every time he sees them?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Try driving thru Portland Oregon. Many Teslas about, I even see them Rivian trucks.

Rivian is taking orders for their new SUV for Fall 2023 deliveries. The playing field is getting thick out there as all the major Auto Builders are introducing their EV's between now and next Summer using traditional dealer networks.

If you have a strong interest in buying an EV, remember that you need a home charging station commonly requiring a 240 VAC (North America) power supply and most homes do not have the available spaces in their Home's power panel, which will require a license electrician to upgrade your power panel. NOTE, the thick wiring is becoming ever more expensive.

If you park outside or have an apartment, you will likely not be able to have a home charging station! If Brown-outs or Black-outs are common in your area or projected to be, you may need to think about a home generator with 240 VAC abilities.

Most Reactions