Cozy’s Corner 💙

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Thought I’d start a little spot to collect some Cozy moments and updates.

Despite going through her third molt this year (which has freaked me out - the vet said she is ok though even with her very prominent wing blood feathers that don’t look right to me but whatever mr. Vet - I’m keeping an eye on her like a hawk), Cozy is happy, energetic, and finally hand friendly! I was able to pet her for the first time a few weeks ago and now she comes for head rubs daily.

Here a few fun action shots of Cozy preening recently. I think the last one is my favorite - her back feathers remind me of hasselback potatoes the way they are fluffed out and her head reminds me of a dinosaur or the scene in Home Alone when Kevin wakes up and realizes his family is gone. Enjoy!

6EECC0B1-D20D-4F34-932B-36E840FF9DFC.jpeg

D392F43C-C347-4289-8875-30F43EBB2DB9.jpeg

F03F57FA-8AE2-472A-9CB8-05C839248917.jpeg

26C1F5F3-DCC9-4BA9-9A64-6845B2B3968B.jpeg

774FDC37-0AEA-4B35-84EA-1B64993A8801.jpeg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Despite going through her third molt this year (which has freaked me out - the vet said she is ok though even with her very prominent wing blood feathers that don’t look right to me but whatever mr. Vet - I’m keeping an eye on her like a hawk), Cozy is happy, energetic, and finally hand friendly! I was able to pet her for the first time a few weeks ago and now she comes for head rubs daily
My birds have moults 2-3 times a year. Snowy had her first moult at only about 4 months!

I'm sure Cozy will be fine:)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
So glad to hear I’m not alone! 😌
I have two moulting at present, Val the budgie and my new little one, Lovejoy the lorikeet, who is going through his first moult into adult plumage - my baby boy is growing up!! 😭 Seriously, this morning I vacuumed up so many feathers I could use them to make a new bird!

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
I have two moulting at present, Val the budgie and my new little one, Lovejoy the lorikeet, who is going through his first moult into adult plumage - my baby boy is growing up!! 😭 Seriously, this morning I vacuumed up so many feathers I could use them to make a new bird!
Hahah! Maybe you should try to make a new bird. Arts and crafts!

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Pretty cool breakthrough over the last 24 hours. Cozy has been letting me help her remove the keratin sheath over her head pinnies! Why is it so satisfying???

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Pretty cool breakthrough over the last 24 hours. Cozy has been letting me help her remove the keratin sheath over her head pinnies! Why is it so satisfying???
There is in my opinion very little else that’s more satisfying than when a tiny little birdie trusts us enough to help with those pin feathers - to do so puts them in a position of great vulnerability. Because he’s even smaller than a budgie, my Lovejoy’s pins on his head are SO tiny that I really just can’t get a proper grip on them so there’s only so much I can do. Fortunately we have Val the budgie around who can get into all those itchy little nooks and crannies for him and is happy to help 😊

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
There is in my opinion very little else that’s more satisfying than when a tiny little birdie trusts us enough to help with those pin feathers - to do so puts them in a position of great vulnerability. Because he’s even smaller than a budgie, my Lovejoy’s pins on his head are SO tiny that I really just can’t get a proper grip on them so there’s only so much I can do. Fortunately we have Val the budgie around who can get into all those itchy little nooks and crannies for him and is happy to help 😊
I know it’s so sweet 🥹!

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
The last week has been a blur. Unfortunately, my husband has had an undiagnosed illness for the last year and had to go the hospital last Thursday night. He is home now thankfully and doing ok. We (Cozy and I ) missed him so much while he was away. Both of our routines got thrown off as you can imagine with hospital visits and such. I noticed a day ago that Cozy feels a lot lighter than normal. I’m going to chalk it up to the stress - she didn’t seem to be eating as much as usual while my husband was in the hospital. She has been eating more like her usual self now that we are back to a normal schedule and all flock members are accounted for. This little birdie has brought us so much joy during one of the most difficult seasons of our lives. I was so so grateful that when I came home from the hospital at night she was there, ready to sit with me, and bring me the comfort of not being alone. God bless our birdies 💕

In some more uplifting news, today Cozy flew the farthest she’s ever flown before! She even turned in the air and almost made it back to her cage! It was awesome!!

DE30C8EE-7AC5-42B9-AA22-7D1031768C85.jpeg

(A sad and confused Cozy missing her Dad. Those pinnies appeared on day 2 of our chaos. Is stress molting a thing?)

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I'm not sure if stress moulting is a thing to be honest, but our birdies are often so in tune with us and our emotions that it would not surprise me in the least. I hope that your whole flock, feathered and non-feathered, continue to do well! 🙏🙏🙏

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think stress moulting is very POSSIBLE but I don’t know that it’s been recorded or proven.

Stress causes all sorts of problems in our bodies, human and animal/ parrot.

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
I'm not sure if stress moulting is a thing to be honest, but our birdies are often so in tune with us and our emotions that it would not surprise me in the least. I hope that your whole flock, feathered and non-feathered, continue to do well! 🙏🙏🙏
Thank you, LaManuka! It’s now been just about one week since the Dad of the flock has been home. We are all doing much better in terms of our spirits, and my husband is slowly making some good progress.

Has anyone else on the forum suffered with an undiagnosed illness? Just looking for friendly commisseration and how you’ve dealt with the uncertainty.

OP
CosiGirl

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
I think stress moulting is very POSSIBLE but I don’t know that it’s been recorded or proven.

Stress causes all sorts of problems in our bodies, human and animal/ parrot.
After seeing this happen, I agree!

And thank you for all of your helpful responses, HeatherG. I appreciate you!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have a rare disorder and consequently any issue I have gets blamed on that. But have found that my bouts of worse foot arthritis are possibly a late reaction to viral infection.

It is very tiring to be sick and have your doctor say “I don’t know” or “ if it’s xxx it will all make itself plain eventually.” I am a youngish person still and I would like to have the super-busy life I used to have. It is lonely to be sick.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
The last week has been a blur. Unfortunately, my husband has had an undiagnosed illness for the last year and had to go the hospital last Thursday night. He is home now thankfully and doing ok. We (Cozy and I ) missed him so much while he was away. Both of our routines got thrown off as you can imagine with hospital visits and such. I noticed a day ago that Cozy feels a lot lighter than normal. I’m going to chalk it up to the stress - she didn’t seem to be eating as much as usual while my husband was in the hospital. She has been eating more like her usual self now that we are back to a normal schedule and all flock members are accounted for. This little birdie has brought us so much joy during one of the most difficult seasons of our lives. I was so so grateful that when I came home from the hospital at night she was there, ready to sit with me, and bring me the comfort of not being alone. God bless our birdies 💕

In some more uplifting news, today Cozy flew the farthest she’s ever flown before! She even turned in the air and almost made it back to her cage! It was awesome!!

View attachment 46413
(A sad and confused Cozy missing her Dad. Those pinnies appeared on day 2 of our chaos. Is stress molting a thing?)
That is a sweet face. I’m glad her Dad is home now.

Most Reactions

Latest posts