Crafty/Handy people opinions needed!

moroi55

Feb 27, 2020
Hi!

My bird has a habit of pooping on the side of his cage and out onto the floor/wall.

It leads to a difficult clean up when there is bird poop in tiny little corners and near screws on the door. But mostly I'm struggling with the wall.

I want to put something on the back of his cage to protect the wall but want it to be easily removable so I can clean it. I was thinking some kind of plexiglass or acrylic or something just for the sides near a wall but I'm not sure where to even begin with purchasing materials.

Anybody have any ideas?

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Shower curtain liners maybe? I'd be inclined to open and hang them in the garage or something before using, since they usually have a strong plastic smell for a while.

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Hi moroi55

I have had a similar problem here and have found a solution, that might be useful for you.

Our orphan Palm tanager is mainly a frugivorous bird, so no need to say the situation of the wall after a day of happy fruit eating. So I needed something between the cage and the wall that could be easily removable to be cleaned and put back.

I think its cage is a bit small but is a temporary cage and s/he is allowed to have cage free time everyday, although s/he becomes quite cage bound after 5 to 10 minutes.

So I´ve used a square piece of wood and covered it with artificial leather. The piece of wood is hanging on the wall and the cage hangs on the piece of wood.

20211027_212225.jpg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Office chair matts. Cheap, can be cut with a box cutter to size, and available at any Staples or office supply store. Get the non-textured ones, much easier to clean. We use one under Salty's cage and under his hanging daytime boing/feeding station. Much, much cheaper then plexiglass.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
At home I have couple of solutions.

Pascal has an enormous cage, so I agreed with my partner we put some nice jungle themed washable wallpaper behind him on the wall. It wasn't too expensive and was easy to put, however we're not sure what might happen if we want to take it off :D. I like the idea with the shower curtains behind the cage more, not sure why I hadn't considered that idea before.

Under his cage we bought some linoleum flooring and put under his and the budgie's cage as they are just so messy and poop all the time. If it gets real dirty, we can just toss it out for pressure washing.

Budgie's cage we've put a piece of fabric on the back. We cut the shape of the back of the cage and attached it to the back with plastic zip locks. A simple shower curtain could be done the same. Basically where you'd attach, we cut a tiny hole, ran the ziplock through the fabric and the cage corners/bars, tied up and cut off the excess of the fabric or the standing out ziplock. This was initially done because she was temporarily in our work room but we had no free wall, and birds do need that wall to feel secure, hence we put the dark piece of fabric to imitate the wall.

Most Reactions