Crooked talons

Smcdonald

Dec 21, 2021
Parrots
Sun Conure
Hello! I just got a 6 month old sun conure who we named DaVinci! We noticed that his talons are crooked or maybe clubbed? I asked the person I purchased him from about it and she said it was from the breeder not having a perch set up for him so he stood on a flat surface. Not sure how true that is. I'm concerned because he has a hard time staying on my shoulder or climbing my arm. I've attached 2 pictures showing his talons. Has anyone ever heard of this and/or know anything about it??

Attachments

• 20211221_212150.jpg
    20211221_212150.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 20211221_211902.jpg
    20211221_211902.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 200

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Hello, DaVinci is a very beautiful baby.

I am so sorry to say that this is certainly not normal. And he is in need of immediate medical attention.

There are many kinds of deformities in parrots feet. Courses ranges from malnutrition, infections to living conditions.
You might be interested to read some more informations, to be prepare to ask your avian vet some questions.

However, young birds with correct diagnostic stand a good chance of full recovery. So please do not wait, it will only get worst and get more difficult to treat.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
IMG_20211221_121115.jpg
this photo shows a clear view of Emerald's feet. She climb our curtain, perch on different sizes of branches and shoulder with out problem.

I heard that there are many techniques to correct curled feet in a few months old bird. The longer you wait, the lesser technique to choose. So please take him to an Avian Vet as soon as possible.

D

Deleted member 42416

Hi, Davinci is a beautiful boy! He does have a congenital foot issue that likely will be permanent. Vet input will help ascertain the actual issue, but it does seem analogous to club feet in people.

I am not a breeder, but have had unplanned sun conure babies (see my “Hindsight is 20/20” thread. One of the babies has a severe rotational deformity at the tibiotarsus joint. I think she will always be special needs and when grown I’ll have to design a cage accordingly.

I am attaching a link to a YouTube video of a lovebird named “Bootsy”. I noticed they used padded platforms in his cage instead of perches and I think this is a great idea! I’m taking notes for my special needs birbies too!

One important thing to mention, these birds don’t know they are disabled! They can have happy, joyful lives and you may even develop a closer relationship to him than otherwise!

Most Reactions

Latest posts