Crossbreeding Rosellas, Scarlet-chested, and Budgies Parakeets?

shushi_boi

Sep 14, 2020
Hello,
I'm a beginner at raising parakeets and I was curious about their breeding habits, since I want to build an outdoor enclosure (with of course the proper conditions with plants, air/humidity system with appropriate nests, toys etc.).

Since I want to build a large enclosure with a few different colorful species of parakeets, I wanted to know if these species are compatible with living with each other, if they can potentially breed with each other and if they do breed, would their offspring be viable?

I have a large 15'×15'×15' foot enclosure with the following species that I want to live in there,

Western Rosella (Platycercus eximius) :rainbow1:
Eastern Rosella (Platycerus icterotis) :gcc:
Scarlet-chested parrot (Neophema splendida) :green:
and
the Budgerigar (Melopsittacus undulatus) :greenyellow:

Are any of these species compatible with living with each other (and the offspring of each other?)? Are any of these species capable of crossbreeding with each other with fertile offspring? Has anyone ever had hybrids of similar or the same species?

I'm not actively trying to make hybrids, I'm just curious about the biology, the behavior of these species and if they do happen to crossbreed in the same enclosure (to make raising them more easier on my end), what to expect, and whether or not if I should seperate the offspring etc.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
As far as I know:
- rosellas are very agressive and during breeding seaon they may kill some other birds
- female budgies are known to go into other birds nest boxes and kill babies
- maybe hybrid is possible between these two rosellas species. I've never Heard about estern x western but Heard about estern x Crimson and eastern x pale headed

Wysłane z mojego Redmi 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Breeding is an expensive, time consuming, and demands extensive knowledge to simply be able to have a single success hatching. Creating hybrids is commonly problematic as errant mutations commonly result in unanticipated deformation, which commonly demand extensive intervention by a Certified Avian Vet.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
To my knowledge, only the rosellas would hybridize and create offspring. Those offspring would most likely be fertile.

As to whether or not you could house all those species together safely, I do not know. You're talking about 3 different sizes of birds, with the budgies being the smallest, followed closely behind by the scarlet chesteds and the rosellas being the largest.

Most Reactions