Curious? Vocabulary of Green cheeks

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
I am wondering just how many words a GCC's vocabulary can consist of.
Mine started saying I love you around 7 months......he has added a few others since such as Baby, I'm here, yeah, nite nite and some others.........he understands a lot of words such as "Do you want to take a shower"........he will stop what he is doing and come to me immediately. I was just wondering how prolific they can be with talking.

ZoeS

Oct 4, 2011
Mine doesn't say too much. She says her name and variations of it ("Libby" "Libby Loo"). She imitates kissy sounds and uses them appropriately (which I am kissing her, or she is preening Toby - her conure friend) and sometimes if I make the kissy noise randomly she will start preening Toby. Very cute.

She also imitates my laugh which I recently discovered. She was playing under a blanket on the couch and started to laugh, which made me laugh, then laughed more and so did I.

OP
dishgal1

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest learned to say I love you from his Jungle talk phone. Now he has learned to laugh like it one of the buttons laughs. He also makes kissy sounds. He actually says more words than I expected and I was just wondering what his potential is. Most he has just picked up, not like we say it over and over to him.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
The only thing Loki says consistently is Step Up. He definitely knows what the word "Shower" means, lol. He has said Nite-nite, Love you and Hello, but only once each. He said them once, and has never said them since. He does have a garbled grouping of words, but it just sounds like complete gibberish, no idea what he's actually trying to say.

My original research said that GCC's rarely talk, so, I dunno.

OP
dishgal1

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Well Forrest says these words everyday but I was just wondering if I can expect more.....probably not, but I am very happy he says about 7 different words consistently.

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Guava is quite the talker. She, too, started talking at about 6 months of age and has been picking up new phrases and words ever since.

So far her list includes:

Guava
Guava baby
Give me kiss (her favorite, also her flock call)
Thank you (often says this after she gives kiss)
Come here, Guava,
Good morning, Guava (has become a routine greeting every morning before she's uncovered)
Good night
Hey baby
She also mimics various kissing sounds, sneezes, and laughs.

OP
dishgal1

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
I guess some just talk more than others. Mine is a male maybe they talk more.
Forrest says:

I love you
I'm in here
yeah
Baby
Nite nite
Laugh ha ha ha ha ha
My husband says he says Mama ( I haven't heard it)
a couple others
plus the sneeze
Smoochie sound
kissy sound

It is so cool. I hope he continues to pick up new words. How old is your bird?

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
I guess some just talk more than others. Mine is a male maybe they talk more.
Forrest says:

I love you
I'm in here
yeah
Baby
Nite nite
Laugh ha ha ha ha ha
My husband says he says Mama ( I haven't heard it)
a couple others
plus the sneeze
Smoochie sound
kissy sound

It is so cool. I hope he continues to pick up new words. How old is your bird?

Forest is quite the talker, too!

Guava is about 18 months-old. I recall reading that when it comes to their talking ability, gender isn't a factor for green cheek conures (unlike other parrot species such as parakeets and cockatiels, for example). Perhaps it just depends on the individual. I'm not exactly sure. We do talk to her all the time, though.

OP
dishgal1

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
He doesn't really screech unless someone drives up. His flock call is "baby" or "I love you"
I GUEss I am very fortunate. He seemed slow when he was young so we named him Forrest you know like Gump?
He has turned into a very intelligent bird. He understands a lot of things. We even have to spell words if we are not ready to do that particular thing. I can't believe we have to spell in front of a bird. LOL

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
He doesn't really screech unless someone drives up. His flock call is "baby" or "I love you"
I GUEss I am very fortunate. He seemed slow when he was young so we named him Forrest you know like Gump?
He has turned into a very intelligent bird. He understands a lot of things. We even have to spell words if we are not ready to do that particular thing. I can't believe we have to spell in front of a bird. LOL

Please don't leave Forrest alone with a box of chocolates! lol!

We are fortunate, too. Guava's flock call is "Give me kiss!," and it's very rare for her to actually screech or scream.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Dishgal - Loki is DNA sexed male and doesn't talk, so I don't think it has anything to do with gender.

I wish he talked more :-/

OP
dishgal1

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Well that is interesting. My daughter has a female and she doesn't talk much so I just figured it might be a male thing.....guess not. LOL

OP
dishgal1

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots

Please don't leave Forrest alone with a box of chocolates! lol!

We are fortunate, too. Guava's flock call is "Give me kiss!," and it's very rare for her to actually screech or scream.

Oh now that is just tooo funny. LOL

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
Birdie doesn't talk at all, which is probably due to me not talking to him much.
I have noticed that he has given me a name in bird language! It's a rather cute "peep peep" noise he makes when he wants my attention or when I'm about to leave the room. :D

Last edited:

guesswhokatysue

Jun 11, 2012
Maine, US
Parrots
Maverick (GCC)
I have been reading this thread and I have a couple of questions (more to you guys with talking birdies, but anyone with an answer would be great). What does a bird sound like when they are trying to talk? Lately when we have Mave out in the living room with us he makes an odd noise, it's not quite a word, but it sounds different than just general peeping, I was wondering if this is a sign that he is trying to say something, or is this maybe a peep I have never heard before? haha

Second, a lot of you have mentioned that your birds have a "flock call". How can you tell their flock call from a regular word? I'm just curious here. Is it just because they will repeat the word or phrase over and over again?

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Well, a flock call is a call - it's a vocalization that's not really a scream/screech, although it can be, but it's certainly not a word or even close to talking. All birds are capable of having a flock call, and I believe every bird does, whether or not they use it regularly is another question. Loki's flock call is very high pitched but he only uses it in the afternoon, towards the evening, usually around dinner time. That's because he likes eating dinner with us, and he knows there's food, so he's calling to us. Or if he thinks there's a commotion of some sort and he's missing the action.

In regards to them "trying" to talk, Loki's sounds low-pitched and like words garbled up. You can tell he's "saying" something, but we just can't make it out because it's so distorted. He also tends to try and "talk" when I'm already talking and if I stop, he stops, so it makes it difficult to even listen to him and try and make it out. It's definitely nothing like a chirp, peep, squawk, squeal, scream or screech, at least for Loki. It's very distinct.

OP
dishgal1

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
I have been reading this thread and I have a couple of questions (more to you guys with talking birdies, but anyone with an answer would be great). What does a bird sound like when they are trying to talk? Lately when we have Mave out in the living room with us he makes an odd noise, it's not quite a word, but it sounds different than just general peeping, I was wondering if this is a sign that he is trying to say something, or is this maybe a peep I have never heard before? haha

Second, a lot of you have mentioned that your birds have a "flock call". How can you tell their flock call from a regular word? I'm just curious here. Is it just because they will repeat the word or phrase over and over again?
When mine talks some words like "baby" is raspy and deep.....his "I love you" is high pitched. He learned that from the jungle talk telephone he plays with. No they won't be totally clear like larger parrots but there is no mistaking what they are saying.

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
I am wondering just how many words a GCC's vocabulary can consist of.
Mine started saying I love you around 7 months......he has added a few others since such as Baby, I'm here, yeah, nite nite and some others.........he understands a lot of words such as "Do you want to take a shower"........he will stop what he is doing and come to me immediately. I was just wondering how prolific they can be with talking.
I recently got my sweet GCC earlier this year and he is now 9 Months old. He is so so smart and I’m convinced he is a bird prodigy although I’m sure it’s just because we spend a lot of time together. He knows how to say; good job, I love you, love you babies, kissy sound, what are you doing, huh, and his name(Mojito).

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
Once upon a time my conure Kermit used to have quite the vocabulary. Not including sound mimics, probably 6 or so words/phrases. We once got her to mimic the syllables of "pterodactyl" for our own personal amusement. In her first year or so with us she was very eager to acquire new words/sounds.

Now at 5 years of age, she's discovered the humans are happy to mimic her sounds back to her and she doesn't need to try so hard. Her vocabulary these days mostly consists of "kisses" spoken in pure Kermit-ese (as in, entirely incomprehensible if you didn't live with the bird and know what it started out like), aggress rapid-fire artilery kissy sounds (generally not said after kisses - ironically - but more when she's upset no one is paying attention to her), microwave beeps, and the sliding glass door. The rest of it is Kermit-ese... oh well. Sometimes late at night I can hear her sleep-mumbling very clearly, so I guess that's consolation enough.

Most Reactions

Latest posts