Ria

Jun 6, 2011
Media
Albums
Uk, Hampshire / Gosport
Parrots
Indian Ringneck: Damien

RIP: Dempsey & Winston
I just wanted to say, he got them clipped, and already I have seen a bit of a drastic change. At first I'll admit he was looking pretty sorry for himself, but after giving him time to calm down after the little ordeal I noticed he wasn't as cocky as usual. Its like he instantly knew things were changing, and that he won't always get his own way by just flying away!

I think doing this will calm him down, to the point that I can begin to get close with him and build up this trust. I actually think our relationship will better from this. When he is flighted again I'll more than likely keep him flighted afterwards. This first clip is really just for training, cos I will admit I felt really bad taking away his ability to fly.

ANYWHOO, I hope you're all well. I haven't been here for ages, I been working soo soo much these past couple of months. Too tired for net haha!

best wishes~ Ria, and Damien!!

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
I hope it works out w/you & Damien. Sometimes it does help the clip when you are having those kinds of problems. Glad you're doing ok.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I clipped my galah - echo - when I first got her... I was told she was a biter and aggressive... She was none of those things, however, and I just let her feathers grow out.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
hey again an i wish there was a vet near me that would clip (i really don't want to fo it myself)

so glad damians realising the tides have turned so to speak, keep us up dated an tc X

OP
Ria

Ria

Jun 6, 2011
Media
Albums
Uk, Hampshire / Gosport
Parrots

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsOfcbOx724]wingclipping - YouTube[/ame] here is the vid that reassured me about wing clipping. Shows you properly.
:D

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Great video, Ria..

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies
Awww what a cute grey! I didn't know they made those little squeaking sounds :D So cute! I'm surprised he didn't fly away lol :). Thanks for the video!

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies
Just finished watching the video (shouldn't have posted before I finished lol :p). What does a blood feather look like when you're looking under the wings? I thought all primaries/flight feathers were non-blood feathers. Also was that a fly at 6:46? *raises eyebrows

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
That was a really good video. Wing trimming really isn't hard to do, I don't normally suggest trying it without having someone actually show you how first, but that video is better instruction than I have seen some people give in person. If you don't have any local vets that do it, you could always try to find a bird store, I'd be surprised if they don't do it either.

I was going to try and describe what a blood feather looks like but then I found this site and I'm sure it's better than any description I could give Blood Feathers
They are easy to notice, I'm sure you will see if there is one there. I have clipped hundreds(no exageration, I worked at a couple pet stores so I've clipped more birds than I can count) of birds and (*knock on wood) I have never clipped a blood feather. If you do, it is very important to stabilize the wing and pull the feather out or it will not stop bleeding.

I'm doing the same thing with our Alex, I clipped her when we first got her, just to get some ground work bonding in, she is molting now and I have every intention to keep her flighted afterwards.

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies
Oooooh I see :D! I've never clipped a blood feather either, in any of my or my friends' birds. Hopefully never won't, but I'll make sure to check every time!

OP
Ria

Ria

Jun 6, 2011
Media
Albums
Uk, Hampshire / Gosport
Parrots

Thank you for showing me what a blood feather looks like.

Update~ After a day and a night in his cage to get used to his new self. I let damien out today, started on top of the cage he attempted to fly down, I have actually left him down, and he's discovering a whole new world of bedroom floor. Haha!

I bought him this small play gym, it's designed for a smaller bird but on the box it said parakeet, haha. HE TOTALLY ignored at first. But now I see him happily sat on him minding his own. *tries to snap pic* Got a pic, it;s not great it's off my phone and I am far away haha.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150345922780810&l=3058a0a9a8

Excuse the mess, it's cleaning day today Damien's had fun with some paper today, hence the bits on the floor lol. Damien discovered the Mirror today, he circled it so many times to just stop and stare at his reflection, Im pretty sure he thought it was another bird cos he pecked at himself!

But yes Damien is definitely adapting fast. I need to by a ladder for him so he can get back on his cage a bit better. And I need to create some more shredding toys for him to be able to play with on top of his cage. So far so good!!

Louis

Oct 2, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Louis "Mr Parrot" , the Alexandrine
Aww, that's the cutest picture<3
Damien looks so precious.
Just had to say :)

OP
Ria

Ria

Jun 6, 2011
Media
Albums
Uk, Hampshire / Gosport
Parrots

Awh thank you, he looks rather scruffy at the moment. I am in the midst of trying to get his feathers to look less dull. I think he might be molting because baby fluffly feathers are constantly needing to be hoovered (Vacuumed) up :p

~Your avi pic, of Louis is adorable by the way, he looks really happy! :)

Here's another pic: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150345941195810&l=41620b143a

ALSO, does anyone know how long tail feathers take to grow? He hasn't pulled any out, he's just damaged them, so they have just shortened. This was from when he was in a cage far far too small for him for a couple of months.

Louis

Oct 2, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Louis "Mr Parrot" , the Alexandrine
Aww, that picture is also so cute!<3
I just love IRN's

Also thank you : D

Also not too sure about the tail thing.

My Alexandrine(suppose to have long tail) also has a short tail (got him like that from the breeder) and Ive had him for a few months and it's still the same. (Had him since august)

Most Reactions

Latest posts